Streaming heat protection

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I was wondering what other people are using to keep their streaming cameras cool and dry? Dick's and Game Changer partnered to release their fence mounting kit, but it seems to be sold out. We've tried the white towel and USB fan, but they only work so long before the camera overheated.

Thanks for your input.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I’ve found that using a small hand towel/car rag that is damp helps keep the camera cool. I drench the towel, ring it out, and then use a small bungee cord to help keep the towel in place on the camera. Works most of the time. I have an old Mevo Plus, but think it would also work for the Mevo Start.

I’ve also experimented with using a zip tie to attach an outdoor light cover (the kinds you use for security cameras or lights outside your home) and put that above the camera. That can work, but is more of a pain the a#$ than the towel method above. I think the damp towel also keeps the camera cooler.

I saw a guy cut a small piece of pool noodle and place that on the camera (Mevo Start). Don’t know how well it works, but thought it was clever.

Aug 18, 2018
I streamed with a GoPro today in direct sun without issue, probably 95. I made a shade with white corrugated plastic board that wrapped all around, trying to not be too obstructive.

Was first time using it, so still seeing how it goes long term.
180da1bb07229b1ecaf3f08fc47d29b8.jpg

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Apr 25, 2019
In addition to a homemade cover I made with some tin and some fence clips, I use this fan. If it's a hot, sunny day, I make sure to set up my camera near a horizontal cross bar and clip this fan to it. It's 4 AA batteries and they generally last 5-6 games before I have to change them. If I am using my tripod, I just clip it to the tripod and adjust it to get it as close to my phone as possible.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Inevitably, most of our games have the sun on the other side of the fence beating on the camera face, so the hat trick was not effective.
The primary idea of shade is to prevent the sun from directly hitting LCD's which absorb sunlight much more than the cladding. With most LCD's on the back, the hat tends to resolve most issues. But we break down heat related issues in 3 sections. Below is a copy and paste of some suggestions we gave to a recent customer on the topic. Perhaps something here will help:

In general, heat related issues with electronics come in 3 flavors: Internal heat, sun contact, and ambient temperatures.
1.) Internal heat, that is heat generated by the device due to overwork, is generally more prevalent with something like a GoPro. Using external power vs internal battery in that case, is the big hitter. This is less of an issue with your phone, but external power can help most smartphones. But minimizing unused features can be the most helpful. When streaming, if you are using internal data, I'd suggest turning off wifi, bluetooth and any other wireless feature not needed. If using an external hotspot or other wifi source, I'd suggest turning off data. In an Android device, you can turn off the LCD while streaming. But I don't think that is possible with your iPhone as it will break the stream. But what you can do is turn the brightness all of the way down. On a GoPro, making sure the screen saver is set to the lowest value will turn it off quickly and reduce heat.

2.) Sun contacting on the phone LCD is a huge source of heat related issues. But it is also quite easy to overcome. We recommend using a ball cap to cover up the device. They are easily available and have the benefit of forming around the device without smothering it. This lets natural convection cool the exterior while also keeping the sun from cooking the LCD (which is epoxied to the main processor board on a smartphone). We have a video here where we talk more about this setup:
(same video as posted above)
On a GoPro that has multiple LCD's (back and front), using several layers of painters tape over the LCD reduces the sun contact. We like the painters tape because it is easy to remove even after baked, and not leave residue. But anything that will reflect more light than absorbing will reduce heat.

3.) Lastly, this time of year when the ambient temperatures are so high that none of these solutions fully keep the device cool, we add "catcher protection". Having raised catchers in the mid-west, we know what hot is. And we use similar methods to keep devices cool. This time of year, we cart around a decent sized roller cooler. We place a tall (ours is plastic) water pitcher in it filled about 1/2 full of water (any more, and it will splash out in transport. We fill ice around this pitcher and keep kitchen tea cloths in it. When the cameras get hot from ambient temps, we place a wet cold rag in dry zip top bags and place over the devices. Rotate as needed; usually each inning or half inning.

May 13, 2023
....sooo spraying it with ice water is a no.....
😅

Good feedback everybody sending this thread to several people!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad