Do your players really hit >.600?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In your opinion what do college coaches use these camp numbers for from a recruiting perspective? Initial screening if the numbers stick out (one way or the other)? Way back in the day when scouts would be at our games they would have stopwatches but they would also be watching the player with their own two eyes..
Measurable first impressions that can be added on a player profile page 🤷‍♀️

Running speed
Throwing speed
Pop time
Batting stat.
Pitching speed
SAT/ACT #'s
Gpa

Would not be able to guess how much of an impression those numbers make but I do know pop time numbers for catchers are important if they're accurate!
( but coaches will know if people are fudging numbers seeing the player themselves )

Every college coach (I have spoken with) about player prospects wants to see the player in person.

Never had a college coach ask what a player hit in high school.

As for stopwatches~
there are many games (even in recent years🥳) where I'm sitting next to college coaches where we both have a stopwatch in our hand.
Most Recently Berkeley and Arizona

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
It’s interesting to me how different the softball vs baseball recruiting is nowadays. Having gone through the SB part 2 years ago and actively going through the baseball part now, there are significant differences.

Every college baseball camp I’ve been to with my ds uses the following metrics:

- 60 yd dash
- OF velo
- IF velo
- pitching velo
- catcher pop times

The only measurable I’ve seen at most SB camps was pitching velo. Only one school did home to 1st time. Where I’ve seen the most measurables done for SB was at the NFCA camps, not at the individual school camps.

In baseball - what you do in HS matters very much. The college coaches reach out to the HS coaches, and baseball scouts for individual schools will attend HS games. You don’t really see that with SB.

Apr 20, 2015
Anything done by hand is suspect. Watched some tryouts the other day and some of the hand times results were insane. Also, looking at player profiles over the years and have seen some very generous times listed. One coach had like half the team under 2.6, what a disservice.

My DD is considered fast and consistently hits 3.0 on lasers and about 2.8 contact to 1st out of left box. If everything is in alignment and a perfect start then maybe 2.7 contact to 1st, but it has to be the perfect pitch.

Over the years, there was a teammate of two that were crazy fast. Take a tenth(.1) off those times or so. Just had crazy acceleration, which I believe separates the fast from the crazy fast . Also, on teams we faced there were a few, but they were the exception not the rule.

Looking at the top college slappers and a bunch of them are in their own league. Few and far in-between... just like those .600+ hitters!

I was assuming and guess I shouldn’t assume that home to first meant a timed 20 like on deck when the OP said 2.9. My dd is a righty and lasers at just over 2.7 at on deck. Hand timed at various camps she has been anywhere from 2.62 to 2.9 depending on how they do it. I assume at camps they are doing all athletes the same way so the actual number doesn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2022
For stats to be meaningful, they must be reconciled, so you're right about that. That's why MaxPreps doesn't have teams enter defensive yardage stats. You'd have arguments.

It's not surprising to me, however, that you don't see more high school stats online. They're not generally required, they're not often reconciled, and some coaches prefer the information not be made public. If I were a high school head coach, I'd be one of those that didn't make them public unless required, or unless it was a media leaderboard where only the top players were recognized. No one else's business, IMO.
Iowa HS uses Varsity Bound for all HS sports and if you don’t put stats in by each Thursday, theoretically you‘re suspended for a game.

But, they are not reconciled. Not uncommon to see hits given up versus hits not aligned. Also stolen base allowed versus stolen bases Are often different (mostly because most score keepers don’t score 1st/3rd stolen base as stolen bases against the defense).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00