Do your players really hit >.600?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
You would think that. Then, there's the coach at my DD's HS. However, the scoring has been handled by a knowledgeable and capable parent who has been in the game for many years.
Yeah, it's shocking how some HS coaches can be so incompetent. In 2021, my daughter had 104 Ks in the regular season. When this season's players to watch was listed in our regional newspaper, he called it in as 74 Ks.

I could see the ERA or hits allowed being different, but Ks and BB are tough to get so wrong.

May 27, 2013
Yeah, it's shocking how some HS coaches can be so incompetent. In 2021, my daughter had 104 Ks in the regular season. When this season's players to watch was listed in our regional newspaper, he called it in as 74 Ks.

I could see the ERA or hits allowed being different, but Ks and BB are tough to get so wrong.

Same exact thing happened to my dd her senior year. I just laughed and shook my head when I read the articles.

Jun 8, 2016
Manny college coaches and even in the pro coaches do not know how to properly keep score.
If you mean MLB coaches/managers then I don’t believe this for one second. Most of those guys have been around the game for 35+ years..

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2015
New England
Our area High school leagues stats are reconciled between the two teams score keepers prior to posting. If any discrepancy it goes to the league director so I would say our HS stats are far more accurate than most travel ball stats.
Its amazing how many areas #1 do not have a good web stats and 2 even an online forum to post stats. Max preps etc.

For stats to be meaningful, they must be reconciled, so you're right about that. That's why MaxPreps doesn't have teams enter defensive yardage stats. You'd have arguments.

It's not surprising to me, however, that you don't see more high school stats online. They're not generally required, they're not often reconciled, and some coaches prefer the information not be made public. If I were a high school head coach, I'd be one of those that didn't make them public unless required, or unless it was a media leaderboard where only the top players were recognized. No one else's business, IMO.

Apr 27, 2020
For stats to be meaningful, they must be reconciled, so you're right about that. That's why MaxPreps doesn't have teams enter defensive yardage stats. You'd have arguments.

It's not surprising to me, however, that you don't see more high school stats online. They're not generally required, they're not often reconciled, and some coaches prefer the information not be made public. If I were a high school head coach, I'd be one of those that didn't make them public unless required, or unless it was a media leaderboard where only the top players were recognized. No one else's business, IMO.
In our HS league the GMC...https://gmcsports.com/index.aspx
Our conference is a funnel for the Big10, SEC, MAC, even the University of Cincinnati that is ok in sports....as well as other college conferences.

Schools in our conference pride themselves in competing with the GCL http://gclsports.com/ that is feeder for a lot of D1 colleges/ schools like Notre Dame , B.C etc. for college athletes.

Now most of this is boys sports but, the ladies do well for themselves as well in the GMC...Unlike many posters on this site that struggle with any video or examples... there are many videos of the GMC dominating top teams from around the country... But those stats may not count for many DF posters...

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
You have not been around MLB much then...
Lol..well yeah my only direct contact has been with a few who guys I played with who played in MLB but if I learned how to score games from watching MLB games growing up I would assume somebody who lived it would know an error from a hit.

Since I have explained my reasoning would you care to explain to me how you are coming up with your stance on the subject or are you just going to throw out one-liners?

Apr 14, 2022
The hardest part of the stats are the plays the average defender would make but not an error. A grounder to short or third playing too deep and runner reaches by a step. A fly ball with a poor jump. These are technically not errors, but plays most coaches expect the plays to be made. Depending on the level and age this can be a great adder to ba.
Last night a routine fly ball with 2 outs was lost by the outfielder resulting in a grand slam. The batter gets a gs, the pitcher 4 earned runs. Correct scoring but should have been out #3.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Depends who is running the stop watch. lol
Do they time it from contact or step out of the box?
✔ good point,

Getting out of the box quickly is efficiency!
The play starts upon contact of the bat and the ball, then getting out of the box, is part of either the quickness or the delay of the play just after the ball is put into play upon contact.
Especially with those lefties the feet are already moving even before contact.
But they are still in the box.

( have known several tb coaches who were timing catchers pop times from when the ball was coming out of the catcher's hand. Supposed to be from contact!)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00