Sprinkler heads in Infield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I was a golf course superintendent for 30 yrs and when I retired I handled the maintenance at a small D3 athletic complex. You have several choices assuming your hose bib is already out behind the mound. If you don't have a hookup behind the mound an irrigation company can 'pull' a pipe out there with virtually no disruption. If you know where the pipeline is out to your hose hookup you could cut a valve in and control the head from there. You could use a simple ball/gate valve. If you can run a wire to where you cut the valve in you could install an electric valve and controller and run the head automatically at night to keep the moisture content closer to where you want it. You can also turn it on during the day. If you add an inground sprinkler you will have to chose a head with good seal to keep the grit out of it. If you mount the head in a box like your current hose hookup you don't have to worry about it, just pop the cover off before you run it. You will have to size the nozzles in the head to match your pressure and flow.
The simplest thing is to take out the hose bib and install a quick coupler, you can put a sprinkler on a key and plug into the coupler. You can also run a hose from a key and have both available. The coupler should be mounted on a swing joint so you can keep it vertical. All this assumes that you have the pressure and flow that will allow you to run a sprinkler that will cover the area that you want. Here is a link that will show you a quick coupler.

The softball field that I took care of had a flush mounted head to keep the profile as small as possible, it was a pain in the butt. Any seepage around the seal would leave a wet soft area, it took constant maintenance to keep it running clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877