Infield play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
I have observed infielders that as the ball is being pitched, all seem to take a short step forward and place their mitt on the ground. They do this in unison. The thing is, why would they want to be in this rigid position, flat footed, bent over, before the pitch reaches the plate? I understand the importance of movement prior to the pitch, but I thought it was to help the fielder remain fluid, to be able to react to whatever direction the ball is hit to. I thought this pre-pitch motion was supposed to be a small hop, an unweighting that should occur as the pitch reaches the plate, not as it leaves the pitchers hand? Are these players doing it wrong or am I mistaken about how to execute this movement?

Feb 24, 2022
Ideally, they would time their movement with the release of the pitch and they wouldn't be flat footed...they would be on the balls of their feet ready to move and in good fielding position. Doesn't always happen that way.

Jan 8, 2019
Ideally, they would time their movement with the release of the pitch and they wouldn't be flat footed...they would be on the balls of their feet ready to move and in good fielding position. Doesn't always happen that way.
Ideally, not just timed with the release, but timed so that the feet hit the ground at the moment the batter would/does contact the ball.

May 29, 2015
Very low level ... but I taught this in my early years of coaching little kids (girls and boys). IT had nothing to do with defensive ability though. It was more to keep my players paying attention, showing they were aware, and prevent them from standing still. 😋

May 27, 2022
I have observed infielders that as the ball is being pitched, all seem to take a short step forward and place their mitt on the ground. They do this in unison. The thing is, why would they want to be in this rigid position, flat footed, bent over, before the pitch reaches the plate? I understand the importance of movement prior to the pitch, but I thought it was to help the fielder remain fluid, to be able to react to whatever direction the ball is hit to. I thought this pre-pitch motion was supposed to be a small hop, an unweighting that should occur as the pitch reaches the plate, not as it leaves the pitchers hand? Are these players doing it wrong or am I mistaken about how to execute this movement?
If it is young girls, there is some benefit as it is easier to ensure they are ready.

If it is older girls (10+) it is because the coach doesn't know what the heck they are doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi