Spring weather

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
This^^^^

I keep hearing people complaining about how cold it is when they are playing...
Our fields are still COVERED in snow...the snow that has not melted, and left from winter
They practiced yesterday outside for the first time in snow boots, stocking caps and tee shirts...with 4 to 10" of snow on the fields. It was 40*F, and the warmest temp in 5-6 weeks.
The videos are hilarious, watching them dive for pop flies and landing in the snow. There is constant laughter the whole time in the videos.
All while there are snow balls flying everywhere in the background.

Up to 18" predicted in some parts of the state this weekend. It'll be May before some of the teams can get outside at this rate.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
With today's cancellation, we're now at 8 varsity games played and 8 games canceled because of weather. We've rescheduled four of those, but I am out of make-up dates and the weather does not appear that it will improve any time soon.

This "spring" is unusually terrible, right?

Jul 9, 2016
With today's cancellation, we're now at 8 varsity games played and 8 games canceled because of weather. We've rescheduled four of those, but I am out of make-up dates and the weather does not appear that it will improve any time soon.

Yes...

45 mph Gusts today 34F right now with sleet...Chicagoland.

Apr 20, 2015
Sucks we were rained out again today too. Haven't seen the dirt yet even for practice...on the flip side we got to join up with her soccer team...they always play...lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2015
Up to 18" predicted in some parts of the state this weekend. It'll be May before some of the teams can get outside at this rate.

The storm missed us.
We only got ~ 1" up here.
But we still haven't had a true outdoor practice yet.
The only outdoor practice they had, the coaches wanted them outside to catch fly balls...in the snow....but they all had fun.
I'd say the first week of May we might be on our fields.
All HS coaches up here are calling around to see who has playable fields locally.
And those fields are booked solid, since there are very few playable fields in the northern 1/2 of the State.

It'll melt fast this week with temps finally getting up into, and staying in the 40's and maybe 50's...for the first time this Year.
Plus this time of year, the sun angle is getting pretty high, so that helps out too.

Feb 26, 2012
Indiana

Worst spring for outside sports in my 20 years of doing this in north-central Indiana. But I have heard stories around here of baseball not being played at all in April in the mid-70's due to long winters...snow on the ground until May.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Worst spring for outside sports in my 20 years of doing this in north-central Indiana. But I have heard stories around here of baseball not being played at all in April in the mid-70's due to long winters...snow on the ground until May.

It's not even that there's snow on the ground right now. The fluke late snowstorm happens. It's that it's just been miserable nonstop. Even our one nice day last week had a 25-degree temperature drop right before game time.

Looking at the 7-day forecast has been constantly depressing. Hey, it might reach 50 this weekend though. Woohoo!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Put snowblower away this weekend hoping for some good will from the gods.

Snowing today of course.

Pretty sure they hate and laugh at me.

Feb 14, 2014
Dd11’s team has played 2 of the 5 scheduled tournaments so far this season. One of the ones they played misted ALL day Saturday with temps in the 40s. We’re in southeast Texas, so we should already be complaining about how hot it is. We only have six more scheduled, and we’re done until fall .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles