When do they get a break?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
My DD quit softball after 1st year 12u. I was blessed another coach convinced her to play again (took him a month and a half). It broke my heart when she retired from pitching after 1st year 14u fall ball. I've considered every game played since the fall between 1st and 2nd year 12u a gift from God. The journey will likely end 52 to 54 weeks from today.

It's mostly been her journey since after 1st year 12u, and 98pct her journey since she retired from pitching.
Special message within your post!
💛 heart of softball has all different Journeys.
Count the memories not the weeks!

Feb 24, 2022
My daughter has about a month off from late July through late August, and then another month or so from early Nov through early/mid Dec. There are some random open weekends in there, and the Winter workouts (Dec/Jan/Feb) isn't as bad.

Luckily, 2 of her best friends also play club ball, so they have similar schedules. She plays on a very competitive team and it's definitely a commitment. Especially once you throw in lessons, tee work in the backyard and random days that we just go to the field to practice on our own. This is what she wants right now. If that ever changes then we'll adjust. This is all up to her. I love baseball and softball, so it's easy for me to go to practices and games. I feel bad for those parents that aren't into it and just there to support their kid. Lots of LONG days.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
It really boils down to the kid. And everyone is different. DD wouldn't have any issue with the schedule OP posted about. In fact, that's pretty much her life this year. Spring was 5-days a week with her school program, Summer will be a mixture of TB practices/tournaments and HS league, then Fall will be JV. Toss in practice at home (tee, field work, pitching). Winter will be off-season performance workouts and hitting/pitching practice.

She does get breaks. Usually a week between seasons. Then we take a full month or more off after Oct/Nov. There are some random open weekends. We do pay attention to her during long weeks or stretches and make sure she takes a couple days off. The mental break is just as important as any physical break.

But this is the schedule is because she wants to achieve certain goals and play at a certain level. The only thing we "make" her do is be accountable for how and where she wants to play. We set goals and try to stay away from expectations. The pressure thing is real and we work to stay away from it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
But she and the other freshman that got called up were told, the only way they would be assured to stay on Varsity next Spring is to play summer travel ball.

I don't see the problem.

At the end of every season, a good coach talks to each player and tells them what they have to do to get better. My DDs got these talks in HS and college every year in every sport. The end-of-season review is part of being an athlete.

The coach is being honest with your DD. The coach is saying, "You might not be good enough to play varsity next year unless you play travel ball."

Common sense #1: Your DGD will regress without playing softball for 9 months. Her fielding, throwing and hitting will go down the toilet.

Common sense #2: People make decisions and there are consequences for those decisions. Your DGD chose to do other things than play softball. Great. However, like all major decisions, there will be some negative consequences.

Common sense #3: It is NOT YOUR PROBLEM. It is hers. She made the decision. Most likely, she made the correct decision for her. For some other kid, it might be the wrong decision.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2014
She is into two sports and is choosing basketball and vacations for the summer. Her choice and she seems at peace with it. No one should be playing any sport because a coach is threatening the loss of a varsity position if she doesn't choose it. She should play because she wants to. That's really it. Life is short and the life of being a kid is even shorter. Sounds like she is very well rounded.

We played a lot during Covid because it was one of the only things the kids could do and one of the only ways to socialize. But this year we are finishing earlier than normal - July 16th and letting the girls have a more relaxing and social summer doing other things now that Covid restrictions are off. A lot of old school summer camps and vacations are being planned. A few going to softball camps - their choice. They are currently 7th graders (and two 8th graders) and it will be a grind once they get into high school. Right now they normally get Nov to mid Jan off and most of Aug off. But we are adding the 2 extra weeks off since we started in late March with 2x a week practices and games. It's more than plenty. They are kids and they haven't had a normal summer in 3 years. They don't have to be at the ball field every weekend summer. There is so much other stuff to enjoy.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I know every state is different, but I'd check to see if mandatory summer play for roster spots is against the state association's rules. If it is, it's something the coach should be fired over. Optional means optional, and coaches and ADs should lose jobs for making optional mandatory, and schools should be heavily punished (fines, postseason bans, even killing teams entirely/allowing kids automatic eligibility if they transfer to nearby schools as a result).

Now, if the coach actually said something like "we have a lot of competition for our varsity spots, and the best way to ensure you can compete for one is to play travel ball against top competition this summer," that's different.

Oct 3, 2019
Well, I wasn’t there for the conversation but I imagine it was more along the lines of how you said. Regardless, her parents would never pursue something as inflammatory as that and detrimental to the program. Having thought about it more, I’m thinking the coach was just trying to give her a kick in the butt, which she could use at times. She started playing Rec at second year of 12u and even though she had/has a long way to go, she always showed great potential and athleticism which I think she has relied on at times. Obviously you can’t do that forever. She has no choice about the 3 week vacation; that’s a family thing. But we were planning private lessons and a camp or two as well. We’ll see what happens. Hopefully she chooses to play in Fall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles