spiteful umpires?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Had the worst umpire ever last night. First inning, lead off batter drops a drag and is running hard...she was two steps in FRONT of the base just as the 3b is fielding the ball (is still in the throwing motion) just as the ball is thrown, we all here him yell, OUT!!! WHAT????
We all of course are very confused, I'm assuming he thought the bunt hit the batter/runner. Nope, he called a force at 1... My asst coach then proceeds to go nuts on him. The blue then threatens to kick him out etc. As my asst is walking back the blue is staring him down like were back in high school and is trying to intimidate him. Literally not blinking and hard core eye to eye stare down for a solid 20 seconds! Holy crap this guys nuts. The rest of the game was an embarrassment to the sport. My dd was pitching and was furiously mad and crying because even a fb center of the plate at the belt was called a ball. So the other team refused to swing. Walk fest.... after about 6 runs walked in the OTHER TEAMS COACHES walk to the plate and tell the blue they don't want to win "like this" ...umpire then tells them to go coach their team and let him umpire! So at that point the other team just starts to swing at everything, thinking that we can "remove him from the game" nope! Unless it was a pop fly out, she was safe every time. When we were up, we literally had runners beating throws by two and three steps that were being called out. He refused to come up the line on force plays, just stayed parked behind the plate, he was by himself, with no base umpire. Their catcher was digging balls out of the dirt that were "strikes". Worst night of my coaching life. Run rule was in effect at the end of the third. 28-0 We all lined up to do the high five walk and usually the blue will trail, not last night, he disappeared like a fart in the wind. I've never wanted to break a guys nose more in my life. To add insult to injury, my players are so pissed at the situation that they start to take their frustrations out onto each other. Girls that were best friends are calling each other b@#$!es and are ready to fight and quit the team. Unbelievable how one man could have that much influence on my entire team.
Are there any umpires here that will admit being spiteful and giving crap calls to a team if you don't like a coach?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
That would have been nice... my phone was blowing up last night with parents wanting to know what I'm going to do about this guy... and what if we get him again?
Its just a local TB league that we play with other tb teams from the area, and not a sanctioned tourney... but no videos that I know of. I spoke to the league commissioner and there's supposed to be an investigation... lol , that's gonna be a joke.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The coach from the other team seems to understand what was going on. If they do a full investigation someone will have to ask him what happened and hopefully he will be honest. After watching that, I am sure he doesn't want to be on the wrong side of that ump, so he might not say a word, but hopefully he will, After all no one wants to see that happen to a bunch of kids.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have been around the block a few times, and there has been twice that I have packed up a team and left. That would have been the 3rd time.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
A few times this season I have said "please remember these are teenage girls blue. You can hate me, the other coaches, the 3 off duty cops sitting right there (glaring at you) that father some of our girls :), but please don't take your anger out on the girls."

Yeah at some point if I was the other coach and it was that blatant I would have just got with you and said to the umpire "thank you, your service are no longer required".....I would also let the league know that you are simply not stepping on the field with that umpire again...if the league calls a forfeit as soon as the umpire leaves just tell the other team you would be happy to scrimmage them w/o the umpire girls get the same experience minus the knucklehead you can even offer to let other team ump the whole game.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Yeah at some point if I was the other coach and it was that blatant I would have just got with you and said to the umpire "thank you, your service are no longer required".....I would also let the league know that you are simply not stepping on the field with that umpire again...if the league calls a forfeit as soon as the umpire leaves just tell the other team you would be happy to scrimmage them w/o the umpire girls get the same experience minus the knucklehead you can even offer to let other team ump the whole game.
That's a great idea... wish I'd have thought of it last night. I was in shock! Couldn't believe this was actually happening. Amy, in hindsight I probably should have just packed up and walked out!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
If this was a "mean nothing game" I'd probably just pack up and exit the premises.

If this was a game that was going to end our run thru tourney brackets I'd turn to the players and..............."girls, might want to cover your ears cause coach is fixing to get this party started". I don't do it often, but I'll voice my opinion and get my money's worth when an umpire is showing his azz.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06