Spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
With the rise, you can be in great position but the thumb can get in the way and you won't get the correct spin axis. One thing to keep in mind.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Good thing she uses fatty grip and thumb is never an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Hey Ken, apologies if this was already asked or mentioned, but your pictures of each pitch seem to show everything as a 2 seamer. I am a big fan of throwing everything as a 2 seamer, but curious if that was purposeful or just what pictures you were able to procure for the document? Thanks in advance.
In my rush to put it together, the pic of the two seam orientation was the best I could find at the time. Hope to update the whole thing sometime this winter.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
In my rush to put it together, the pic of the two seam orientation was the best I could find at the time. Hope to update the whole thing sometime this winter.
Thanks Ken. I know the Magnus effect and everything, but my DD's pitches seem to move better with the 2 seam. Maybe it's because she doesn't get perfect spin and ends up more 4 seam, but curious your thoughts.

Have you tried a 2 seam true drop vs 4 seam? curious your results.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Thanks Ken. I know the Magnus effect and everything, but my DD's pitches seem to move better with the 2 seam. Maybe it's because she doesn't get perfect spin and ends up more 4 seam, but curious your thoughts.

Have you tried a 2 seam true drop vs 4 seam? curious your results.
I suggest a 2 seam grip for smaller hands for a drop and as an option for the rise. Otherwise, seam orientation doesn’t affect either of these pitches, except that a two seam will sometimes break horizontally. @Ken Krause could describe this phenomenon much better than I could.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The break in that Garcia pitch is attributed to a seam shifted wake. Dr Nathan has updated his thoughts on this. The latest theory says that the seam that causes the break is on the right side of the ball and not visible from that camera angle. 'Tipped' bullet spin allows an axis that presents a near constant seam right on the edge of the ball where the wake separates. Having the right grip is necessary to locate enough of the seam to rotate through that spot. To create a pitch like this the pitcher has to reliably produce the proper spin axis. Then rotate the grip until you get the right seam orientation.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I suggest a 2 seam grip for smaller hands for a drop and as an option for the rise. Otherwise, seam orientation doesn’t affect either of these pitches, except that a two seam will sometimes break horizontally. @Ken Krause could describe this phenomenon much better than I could.

Uh-oh, I better be on my game after Ken's recommendation!

There is research being done right now on what's called a seam-shifted wake (SSW), especially on so-called bullet spins. It's all fairly theoretical right now, although the research is more on the practical side. I first learned about it in this post from ArmWhip to give credit where it's due: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/seam-shifted-wakes.39749/

The idea, as I understand it, is that the position of the seams causes the air rushing over, under and around the ball to be shed differently, at different times. That creates uneven pressure on the ball which causes movement. It's the same basic idea as the Magnus affect, but it occurs differently.

So by holding the ball a certain way, in this case with a two seam grip, it sets up the ball to move through the air in a way that generates the seams-shifted wake.

As I mentioned, even the physics guys who are investigating it are still early in their research. But it does explain, if true, why a ball that theoretically shouldn't be moving (because it's not spinning "properly") does so anyway.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13