Spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Congratulations on the progress you and DD have made (y)

Thanks, she’s still doing a lot of stuff in-between, but has come a long way. She has been very effective this fall, throwing 19Ks vs 6 walks the last weekend she played. She’s relished becoming the #1 pitcher on her club team and generally facing the tougher competition. Her speed and accuracy both went up almost immediately when she switched teams. NJ isn’t exactly a softball hotspot, though.

The journey still looks long.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Thanks Ken, do you have any cues for change-upS to get the fingers on the outside of the ball? We’re trying to do the Pauly change, or at least the beginning of it, but my DD’s fingers are always on the inside of the ball, leafing with the pinkie., instead of the outside.
Apologies ahead... This will be a brief response and I’ll try to add more when I get a chance.

In addition to Doc’s cues, ask her to point to the area on her forearm where she feels brush. It’s most likely somewhere along the medial/inside of the forearm and wrist (Line F.) DD566AFF-CC4C-42F8-8A4C-B28A2A15AE74.jpeg

For the change, ask her to try brushing on the outside/radial side of the forearm (Line C.) More if it helps.

2F6369AD-D321-479E-9420-3793C75CDB78.jpeg

You could also ask her to brush the backside of the thumb like this:
C84D5A66-CB26-48C0-B770-61B86592C5B7.jpeg
Shoot for a spiral spin like this:
55225E4F-9932-4440-9FE0-EBE80C9195A1.jpeg
(Catcher's perspective.)

I’ll try to add more when time allows.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2013
Hopefully this is helpful. I put it together in a rush prior to a clinic, so it's still a rough draft and I hope to clean it up someday soon. For whatever reason, I can't get the formatting and descriptions under the images to line up...

What an amazing gift Ken!! newbie parents should read and memorize this information. I spent a lot of time on this site and the web trying to learn this information for myself and my DD.

Nov 8, 2018
Apologies ahead... This will be a brief response and I’ll try to add more when I get a chance.

In addition to Doc’s cues, ask her to point to the area on her forearm where she feels brush. It’s most likely somewhere along the medial/inside of the forearm and wrist (Line F.) View attachment 19467

For the change, ask her to try brushing on the outside/radial side of the forearm (Line C.) More if it helps.

View attachment 19468

You could also ask her to brush the backside of the thumb like this:
View attachment 19469
Shoot for a spiral spin like this:
View attachment 19471
(Catcher's perspective.)

I’ll try to add more when time allows.

Good stuff Ken. I would imagine that curve would be with rise or at least fb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Yes, although I haven’t really tried that cue for the curve yet. I really don’t use it much with the rise. On the rise, sometimes I’ll throw out the idea of brushing the back of the hand. I’ll try to remember to try it for the curve.

Nov 8, 2018
Yes, although I haven’t really tried that cue for the curve yet. I really don’t use it much with the rise. On the rise, sometimes I’ll throw out the idea of brushing the back of the hand. I’ll try to remember to try it for the curve.

I kinda like that cue. Brush back of the hand. She’s not having an issue but when she does that’s a good one. I generally say palm out or palm to third base.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
@Classof2020 reformatted this and it looks much better. Please let me know if you're able to view it. Hoping to update it this winter with ideas on how we teach to throw each.

Last edited:

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
@Classof2020 reformatted this and it looks much better. Please let me know if you're able to view it. Hoping to update it this winter with ideas on how we teach to throw each.

Hey Ken, apologies if this was already asked or mentioned, but your pictures of each pitch seem to show everything as a 2 seamer. I am a big fan of throwing everything as a 2 seamer, but curious if that was purposeful or just what pictures you were able to procure for the document? Thanks in advance.

Sep 3, 2015
I kinda like that cue. Brush back of the hand. She’s not having an issue but when she does that’s a good one. I generally say palm out or palm to third base.

With the rise, you can be in great position but the thumb can get in the way and you won't get the correct spin axis. One thing to keep in mind.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee