some people need some real issues to deal with

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Personally I'd not cave in to unreasonable demands. Polite but firm, let's move on. What a stupid thing to create drama over.

May 6, 2015
my thoughts exactly, and she acknowledged "that it probably seems silly to you, but it is important to us" I have a hard time believing girl will even care in a week. i just have this feeling she is going to take it further. dad already said he is complaining to president about schedule issues (he sees it as boys v girls thing, it is not really, yes boys play on saturdays, but girls have a field available, issue is fielding teams on Saturdays, but I am all for parents going to BOD to make certain girls get equal consideration just on principle).

i really felt like saying then volunteer, but I know he works weeknights, so pretty much a no go, and he has coached in past (and was a pretty decent guy, we were the two coaches in coach pitch one year, and we worked well together when it came to our games with each other, etc.).

Jul 29, 2012
NC
Our rec league also numbered our jerseys 1-12. Made it a lot simpler. We also never put names on the back.

With that said she has worn the same number on every team except first year of middle school when one the coaches kids wanted it. The next year she had her # back and the other girl picked a different #.

I would try to find the original paperwork....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 17, 2015
They will get over it. Last year we had one set of uniforms bought for all 10&12u teams. It was great, my older daughter had 66. I had a 90 & 91 on my team. Funny part is this year they took number requests and #90 requested the same number. Eventually they will grow into it, especially if you are a coach that calls players by numbers.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Something similar happened to DDs 1 and 3, only with a lot less drama.

In the end, they learned to like their new numbers. No big deal. A number is special until it isn't.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I guess I could tell her that she can have number, and just have two with same number (shirts have names as well, so no problem confusing them, and this girls is about half the size of the other girl)? Did that my first year of coach pitch, does anyone really care at this level if two kids have same number (as long as opposing score keeper is made aware).

Never, ever accommodate ONE person. You have already said "Sorry, but even if I misheard you, you got your second option. Lets go play some softball"

I didn't even let people complain unless they had completed a volunteer form.

If they demand a refund and leave over a jersey number in a 8U/10U rec league then everyone will be better off long term.

And btw... not having Saturday games because 'soccer' is a really stupid strategy. It just gives soccer another reason to say they are better "Even softball give us the weekends to play because we are more important". Have some confidence in your product. Schedule round important dates if necessary, but don't give them free reign. Giving them Saturday just ensures they WILL choose soccer at some point and all you are doing is putting it off for a year or two.

Lastly - we never let kids/parents pick their numbers. Just print the uniforms and assign them a random shirt in the size they ordered. Saves a lot of issues.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Exactly JJS^^^^^ We have a fantastic LL (very fortunate) and the numbers are printed 1-12 or 13 depending on the number of players. You get what you get and don't throw a fit!!!

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
my thoughts exactly, and she acknowledged "that it probably seems silly to you, but it is important to us" I have a hard time believing girl will even care in a week. i just have this feeling she is going to take it further. dad already said he is complaining to president about schedule issues (he sees it as boys v girls thing, it is not really, yes boys play on saturdays, but girls have a field available, issue is fielding teams on Saturdays, but I am all for parents going to BOD to make certain girls get equal consideration just on principle).

i really felt like saying then volunteer, but I know he works weeknights, so pretty much a no go, and he has coached in past (and was a pretty decent guy, we were the two coaches in coach pitch one year, and we worked well together when it came to our games with each other, etc.).

Do yourself a favor. Call the President and ask him/her to move the girl and family to another team now. Why ruin your summer with the added stress?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi