softball vs. Yankee

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
I thought some of you may find this cool, NY Yankees Curtis Granderson in New Zealand and he bats off a men's fastpitch pitcher. The pitcher, Heine Shannon, is one of the best in the world but it's pretty clear he's just throwing BP.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PtvyaApKnoE" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 18, 2011
Bill

I'm new to the site and I was reccomended your Build the house DVD, which I plan on purchasing in the near future. Hopefully more near than future. I was on your site Bill Hillhouse: House of Pitching Softball Academy and noticed your articles stoped at 4/08 and your Blog has been updated since 5/07, is there a reason for this? I enjoyed reading the article and watching your videos. Also saw the video on fastpitch.tv, great. I found out the things I've been teaching wrong and they stop today. I'm a coach in the local rec. league hear and we desperatly need pitching so I'm educating my self more on the development of our pitchers. I've played softball since I was 15, some slow pitch but mainly Modified. I've also coached Local rec. leagues and some church teams. Church teams Modified, Local rec. fastpitch, which I really love and still do. I also get great feedback from the girls and their parents, so I want to be the best coach I can be.. I've mainly been more on hitting than pitching but we really need pitching so I'm adjusting myself. I've found your information to be very helpful and have found several mistakes I've made in the past couple of years for teaching fastpitch, errors that I learned from several other coaches and parents of pitchers. I'm actually the type of person who normally researches something before teaching, the main person I researched was Ernie Parker. No offense but I never heard of you, which is strange because I live in PA also, opposite corner near Susquahanna but same state. Anyway, I'm getting long here, I did sign up for your monthly news letters, so I'm assuming this is how your articles get out today, correct? Someday, I wouldn't mind meeting you and/or attending one of your seminars/clinics. Keep up the great work! I also like your no BS way of putting things.

I know off subject, but saw the name.

Aug 21, 2008
Scott

My articles didn't stop. But without going into too much detail, I lost my webmaster. She was the one who would add my articles to my site as I don't know how to do it. I"m not real bright when it comes to computers. Some would say I'm not real bright about ANYTHING. But, without my webmaster I had no way of putting my articles and columns up on my site. I still do articles when I can, and am getting ready to do another very soon.

My website is being redone as I write this. The owner of this forum, Marc, is doing my site restructure. We plan on having a premium section and public section. I think it's going to be pretty awesome.

Bill

Yes you can tell that the pitcher from NZ is just throwing bp but it is still cool. My experience with pitching to major league guys is they are fooled pretty bad because of the release point, movement and how quick the ball gets on them. Specially the rise ball is the pitch they have the hardest hitting. BUT, the more they see the release point, movement and the timing they make some great adjustments and hit the crap out of it. Remember these guys make their living hitting rounds things thrown at them (lol).

Jul 26, 2010
Awesome show of sportsmanship all around. There's a plethora of "excuses" as to why that shouldn't have even happened, but that all involved decided to "just play some ball", the sport got a bit of a boost. Kudos to Grannderson for stepping up and even more kudos to Shannon for not being cocky and throwing BP instead of trying to make their "guest" look foolish.

-W

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Awesome show of sportsmanship all around. There's a plethora of "excuses" as to why that shouldn't have even happened, but that all involved decided to "just play some ball", the sport got a bit of a boost. Kudos to Grannderson for stepping up and even more kudos to Shannon for not being cocky and throwing BP instead of trying to make their "guest" look foolish.

-W

If you look at who posted it, it was Granderson who put it on youtube (through his foundation). How many of the huge Egos in the major leagues would have done that? He is a great guy who the MLB has sent all around the world to represent the game of baseball and the MLB brand. I was very disappointed when the Tigers traded him. It turned out to be a great trade for the Tigers, but I would still love to have Curtis playing for the home team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish