Softball vs. Band

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
So our 10U travel tournament schedule has been booked since December. My dd just started to play flute in the 5th grade school band at about the same time this past winter.

Two weeks ago the band director sends home a note that the kids have a concert in two Sunday's at 2pm. We are in a tournament this same weekend. This is one we've really looked forward to because the team I'm head coaching with my 10YO daughter is going to be at the same tournament my 8YO is also playing in with her 9U team - the only time this will happen all year.

My wife sent the band director an email telling him dd was committed that day and would be unable to make the concert. Instead of replying to her email, this jerk tells the class yesterday that the concert will be 40% of their grade this period and if they aren't in attendance they will get a zero for the concert.

My first reaction was, "so what"? I mean, softball vs band - is it even a question? duh? It's not like she won't get into college because of one lousy band grade back in the 5th grade. DD is also our Ace pitcher.

Well, not so fast. DD has busted her hump to get straight A's (and perfect attendance) and wife is in a tizzy because she won't get her "Straight A Certificate". Next step is the principle. I pity him, my wife is so tenacious it can be a fearsome thing......

Not really looking for advice, just venting.....

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
They're 10 yo and school should always come first. I agree, Sunday concert may not be enforceable, but our coach always enforces that school comes first. This won't be the first time a school event conflicts with softball.

Mar 6, 2009
What if it was due to a church function? Baptism or something like that. I would go to the administration and give them 50 examples of how this teacher is going beyond anything realistic and should be reviewed for retaining their job.

Bill

Feb 9, 2009
It's all in moderation...

How many games and tournaments will she have this year?
How many concerts does the band put on?

Oct 18, 2009
I wonder if a large number of kids could not make it as well prompting the teacher to do that. Either way, it shouldn't be enforceable. I just signed a form today saying my daughter could not attend a band activity memorial day weekend (because of softball of course). Her school, I assume, knowing it was a scheduled off day had to leave that function optional and required parental permission for kids to participate in it.

Oct 19, 2009
Quite honestly I don't think we realized band was a graded course, but more of a school related activity. Both our girls are straight A and do invention convention, art club etc. We understand our priorities. This guy is just being an A$$ as we've seen in the past when she decided she wanted to switch from trumpet to flute and he tried to block her from doing a few months ago. As it is dd is soured on band and doesn't want to do it next year because of this doofus which I think is a shame.

She'll play about 80 games counting friendlies, travel league and ten tournaments. Moderation is for drinking and other so called vices. Softball is not a vice.

Apr 13, 2010
I don't see how a teacher could have a Sunday requirement equal 40% of a grade. Principal time if I were the parent.

Oct 19, 2009
Update. The band director just called back and dd is off the hook for the concert. Did I mention it's tough to win an argument with my wife? After 15 years together I have learned to be happy if I can at least get her to quit beating a dead horse. I gave up winning (arguments) years ago.

Of course the band director had to say he hopes we lose!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck