Softball USA Olympics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
How and who would we petition to bring softball back to the olympics? I think we could get 1 million signatures from passionate fans and from all the players of this great sport!!

Jul 14, 2008
Too late

There was a huge push, backed by USA softball, to try and get back into the olympics. Unfortunately, softball did not get enough support. I think golf and rugby 7s got in for the next olympic cycle.

lelwell

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Now that Tiger Woods is having all his problems I wonder if the Olympic Committee is having second thoughts or regrets about their decision? As I recall, Tiger's drawing power was one of the reasons they selected golf, allegedly.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The IOC couldn't care less about petitions, your opinion or my opinion. They are all about politics, ego and money.

Politics and ignorance killed softball in the Olympic Games even though the ISF showed that softball drew as many fans as most the other sports and the ticket was in demand. They also showed that it would draw big on TV in the US, Japan, China, Australia, Canada, United Kingdom and other pockets in Europe. So, even with guaranteed TV money, you cannot get them to get off their self-indulgent attitude.

The irony is that the softball and baseball would probably still be included in the agenda if MLB agreed to suspend their season for MLB players to take part in the Olympic games, but you know Bud Selig and the owners will not consider such a financial risk. OTOH, MLB also knew that the IOC's standards and testing would expose a serious problem and force the owners' hand in fighting the MLBPA over steroids and doping issues.

May 12, 2008
Now that Tiger Woods is having all his problems I wonder if the Olympic Committee is having second thoughts or regrets about their decision? As I recall, Tiger's drawing power was one of the reasons they selected golf, allegedly.

I certainly hope they are having sleepless nights. I doubt it, but I hope.

O

Oside

Deleting softball and adding golf makes zero sense. But, there's a lot that happens in the Olympics that defies logic. I think the whole Olympic thing has gotten out of control. I'd like all of us to pay attention to each sport's world championship as a more important venue than the Olympics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole