HOW MANY YEARS, the evolution of SOFTBALL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016

(Pardon the double post did put this in pitching as well)
Adding this here also as the post is regarding evolution of softball. Interesting to see who is on the strikeout leader list, check out the years these stats were compiled
majority are from about 10 years ago.
Pitchers used to throw a lot more innings back in the day so that is part of it. That said, if you looked at K per 7 innings you would still have a lot from the 80's and 90's I am sure.

Jun 8, 2016
Hmmm? That would be an interesting comparison to nowadays.
I could be wrong and maybe at the middle/lower level D1 it isn't true but I feel at the top levels of college softball teams don't ride their #1 as hard as they used to.

May 13, 2023
What is the ratio of the amount of college teams to travel ball teams?
When we are looking at all of softball (college to travel ball) don't think is an Apples to Apples comparison.

The seasons and games played are definitely different.

What I notice generally College pitchers have more recuperative time in between games. Also generally have a more qualified pitching staff.

Jun 8, 2016
When we are looking at all of softball (college to travel ball) don't think is an Apples to Apples comparison.

What I notice generally College pitchers have more recuperative time in between games. Also generally have a more qualified pitching staff.
You just gave college stats...What are we talking about now?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

IMO, College pitchers pitch way more than a TB pitcher. College pitchers will have more bullpen sessions during the week, and then they may be asked to pitch 7 innings on Friday night then another 7 innings on Saturday. Of course, this depends on how deep the pitching staff is. Lower competitive teams, this is more true. TB-pitchers also split time and they are playing during the HOT summer months.

ETA: I have no data to back up my statement. Pure observation.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
IMO, College pitchers pitch way more than a TB pitcher. College pitchers will have more bullpen sessions during the week, and then they may be asked to pitch 7 innings on Friday night then another 7 innings on Saturday. Of course, this depends on how deep the pitching staff is. Lower competitive teams, this is more true. TB-pitchers also split time and they are playing during the HOT summer months.

ETA: I have no data to back up my statement. Pure observation.
Those are good observations.
Along with college athletes having trainers to help their recuperation.

Travel ball certainly has different categories of how the players train, take care of themselves and playing games/pitching time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles