Softball trending down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
I was surprised by the low numbers at the local HS's try outs. Several barely have enough for 3 teams and others have dropped freshman teams due to lack of numbers. How was it out by you?

Feb 17, 2014
I don't know about the HS numbers, but I know 10u numbers are way down in my area and my tournaments are suffering for it. 21 teams in the first tournament last year, only 7 this year. 12u and 14u numbers are good.

I'm not sure what the cause is. There's a lot more softball exposure on tv. I don't know if no baseball/softball in the Olympics has anything to do with it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Booming in Central Florida. Everyone bitching about the "diluted talent pool". I agree with them 100% We need more talented coaches to teach the game. :)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Our league...

6U - 4 teams - 2 more than last year
8U - 4 teams - 1 less than last year
10U - 6 teams - 2 more than last year
12U - 4 teams - same as last year
14U - 2 teams - 1 more than last year

The trend for us seems to be on an upswing.

Mar 28, 2013
Don't know if this holds up nationally but the local clubs here cycle teams over the years. they will go from just a couple of teams to many teams and then shrink back down. most likely that transfers to the HS system. Seems that local young athletes in any sports come in waves. At least in my area.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I would say way down all over the mid section of the country. By far the greatest growth in youth population has immigrated or are first generation U.S. born. From Mex, India, Iraq, Asia, Eastern Europe, my kids have non stop new students in their schools...and all from non softball countries.

"Sport specialization" is killing us too. Lots of girls quiting around 10 to play soccer, and some talent quitting from 12-16 yrs to play year round basketball.

Last edited:
May 22, 2012
Here in the Boston "Lacrosse" is to blame. Beginning to despise that word, keeps some talented athletic girls away from the softball field :confused:

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Here in the Boston "Lacrosse" is to blame. Beginning to despise that word, keeps some talented athletic girls away from the softball field :confused:

I would agree...Lacrosse and Soccer have increased in popularity over the years along with, year around sports have caused a decline in softball.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors