Softball Swing vs. Baseball Swing - 2

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Well John, at least you've got me on your side in this debate with Doc and Posey. I've already been there-done that before you joined up. So I do empathize with you, buddy. :D

Mike

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
I'm sorry but your theories dont stack up with people who have and still compete at the high level you claim to be an expert at. Every time we use our resourses you cry foul and try to paint us as bad.No matter what the high level players say and do, you try and put them down. All we want is the people to know actually what the high level players work on and say, that seems to really get you defensive.Why does that take something away from you?

May 27, 2008
Indiana
Part of the problem seems to be speaking in different hitting languages. Doc and Posey speak one language; the rest of us another. We could be talking about the same things at times, yet we descibe the same actions differently. Then again, I believe there is a large degree of real disagreement in how the ML swing sequences and progresses.

John, I think you would have to be on the same field with Doc and Posey to really understand what the other is talking about. Like you, I believe their view of the swing is slightly askew. :)

Mike

Jun 9, 2008
Board Member,

Sorry if I offended you. However, no matter what resources we quote or how high of a level expertise we bring to this discussion, you will always say "look at the videos." Looking at the videos are good... but just one aspect of the game. I have talked to MLB hitting coaches, players, Olympians, etc and personally asked them what they teach and try to do. Also, I have done it! I am not trying to be arrogant, but it is frustrating when we are trying to tell you what the pros do and teach and you try to discredit it by your "videos" when you have not done it or talked with any of the true experts. While you see one thing in a video... I see another bc I have experienced it and done it. It is all a matter of perspective and experience. For example, you say the front hip opens... and I say that hitters try to keep their front hip on the ball. When we were discussing "Rotational Hitting" I called Jessica Mendoza and asked her this question, and she said she keeps her front hip locked in. Although when you look at her videos, you see her front hip opening. I see that also, but I know why her front hip opens and the process to get there. There is more than one dimension when studying hitting and that is what I have been trying to say all along. Take care.

KAT

May 13, 2008
Board Member,

Sorry if I offended you. However, no matter what resources we quote or how high of a level expertise we bring to this discussion, you will always say "look at the videos." Looking at the videos are good... but just one aspect of the game. I have talked to MLB hitting coaches, players, Olympians, etc and personally asked them what they teach and try to do. Also, I have done it! I am not trying to be arrogant, but it is frustrating when we are trying to tell you what the pros do and teach and you try to discredit it by your "videos" when you have not done it or talked with any of the true experts. While you see one thing in a video... I see another bc I have experienced it and done it. It is all a matter of perspective and experience. For example, you say the front hip opens... and I say that hitters try to keep their front hip on the ball. When we were discussing "Rotational Hitting" I called Jessica Mendoza and asked her this question, and she said she keeps her front hip locked in. Although when you look at her videos, you see her front hip opening. I see that also, but I know why her front hip opens and the process to get there. There is more than one dimension when studying hitting and that is what I have been trying to say all along. Take care.

The problem is that u, Posey and Dr 24 want us to believe you because you have done it. You don't want to put up examples and explain your theory you just want us to believe everything you say verbatim. It just doesn't work that way, several people have tried to show you exactly why what you say doesn't happen but you just want to get back on your horse and say...I have done it. And I know Candrea's and I have am a former Olympian etc etc etc. We are just supposed to swallow this pill and ask no questions. I am a pee on, I want to ask questions, want them explained, answered to the best of the persons ability that are answering the questions and if you have video evidence then I want to see it. I personally think we have taken your word that you are an ex Olympian without any evidence to support that fact, for us out here who haven't done it or have kids who would like to do better, we have to dissect things. I don't know about you but I believe the world is round....but there was a time when the experts said it was flat...where would we be if we took them verbatim??? With that said I don't doubt you have something to contribute but I sure wish it could be in an intelligent manner and not just I said so. I applaud everyone here who is putting the effort into writing posts that explain..and I thank you I have learned alot.

(The Egyptians considered the earth as a table, flat and oblong, the sky being its ceiling--a huge "firmament" of metal. At the four corners of the earth were the pillars supporting this firmament, and on this solid sky were the "waters above the heavens." They believed that, when chaos was taking form, one of the gods by main force raised the waters on high and spread them out over the firmament; that on the under side of this solid vault, or ceiling, or firmament, the stars were suspended to light the earth, and that the rains were caused by the letting down of the waters through its windows. This idea and others connected with it seem to have taken strong hold of the Egyptian priestly caste, entering into their theology and sacred science: ceilings of great temples, with stars, constellations, planets, and signs of the zodiac figured upon them, remain to-day as striking evidences of this.<<<<

These were also the experts of their time....I don't know about you but damn I am glad someone questioned them.....

Jun 9, 2008
We have given evidence... but while you see one thing in a video, I see another. And I am trying to say is that there is more than just watching a video to teach hitting. I think I would rather listen to people like Candrea and Tony Gwynn (who have proven success) to teach my child how to hit instead of someone who just watches videos and has never actually swung a bat. You guys post the videos and I make comments about HOW to get to that position and you all discredit it. I have left quotes and told you specifically what has come out of the mouths of the best because I have worked with them. If you don't want to believe it... fine... BUT YOU CAN"T MAKE ACCUSATIONS ABOUT HOW TO TEACH HITTING BY JUST WATCHING VIDEOS. Like I said previously, Tony Gwynn has watched more videos of hitting than anyone, and he said in his book "The Art of Hitting" that he would TEST out his theories about hitting by taking THOUSANDS of swings. That is the problem, these people have all of these theories, but CANNOT test them out bc they have not done it and don't know what it feels like athletically to hit at that level. For example, I was always taught to keep my front side on the ball and to feel like I am staying square to the plate... however, when I watched a video of myself, I thought my swing was HORRIBLE bc it looked like I was opening up bc I saw my front hip opening. But when I was actually doing it, I was trying to stay closed as long as I could. That is what I mean when I say you can't just watch a video to teach hitting. You have to be able to relay it in sensations and feeling to the hitters.

Jun 9, 2008
One more thing, I am not saying that those things in the videos do not happen... I am trying to relay to you how and why they happen. That is the difference.

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
Once again you cant give one viable source to back up your statements KAT, you can only say video. I would like you to communicate your theories to someone in a practical manner as if you were teaching an average child. If you tell kids all of this stuff you confuse the heck out of them. If you really wanted to learn what Candrea and Carew teach it would take months for you to grasp it. Thats why videos are just a way to make money and only scratch the surface of what actually is being taught.If a Candrea video was made that taught everything he does it would be hours and hours long. The costs and time would be astronomical.Next time go to a hitting clinic in your area done by an olympian and ask them about your theories and see what they think,I have!

KAT

May 13, 2008
Hit Dr...I am not stating anything. I don't teach kids myself. I do learn this so I can pass this information on to my DD and hopefully some day grandchildren. I would never teach kids this as I don't feel I am in any way qualified to do anything but learn as much as possible. I don't post video's, I just look at them and look at comments, learn as much as possible. I do ask questions and I must admit often it has to do with what I see my DD doing. Which is why I asked to see videos of a person that has no stride, since she is a non-strider...or at best a very small strider. I do see some of the things that board member and others are showing, so I must be learning something. I wish I could learn more from you and Posey but its hard to learn when most of the time I see both of you adamantly disagreeing with just about everyone. But that to we can learn from when it starts getting to the point where you and posey feel nobody has anything to offer I get irritated. I am nobody..have stated it several times I am just a mom wanting to do better for my DD and my future grandkids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi