Softball noob...Equipment advice...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 27, 2016
So I've always wanted to try out softball and I registered for rec softball but they didn't have enough space, so I didn't get a chance to learn what equipment I needed so I could buy it. Earlier I had registered for some softball camps that required equipment and since I have no idea what I should get, I'm asking on this forum.

For all equipment I need something relatively cheap so that I can just get a hang of softball. If any of you could recommend cheap and beginner-ish equipment that would be ideal. And if possible, I would prefer if I could buy it online because I'm not sure if the place I live in has the certain shop where you buy the equipment.

-Obviously, I need a glove and a bat... I bought a glove from the local Walmart and it's probably not very good, but oh well lol. I'll need a bat, but I have no idea what kind of bat I should get and what size. (I didn't really put much research on this before I asked loll) What variables go into deciding what bat I choose? Or should I not care about that and just yolo and buy a random bat?

-If you want to bat, you'll need a batting helmet. Same as above for the questions.

-Shoes are very important and you need cleats to run faster. The camp I'm going to does not allow metal cleats so rubber cleats are what I need.

-also for uniform I'm going to be wearing a t-shirt and shorts. Hopefully that's allowed and if not, where can I find some practice jerseys/clothes (whatever they're called)?

-And any other helpful tips will make my day!

(sorry if there was a different thread asking the same noob questions...I was too lazy to look...I got to the 5th pace by skimming)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
So, it would help if we knew if you are male or female, your age group and are you planning on playing fasitch?

For me to recommend a bat, I need to know your height.

Good luck. See if there is a Play It Again Sports, in your area.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There are a couple sizing charts on the Web that are OK. Here is one.

JustBats.com Buying Guide - Fastpitch Softball Bats

Are you going to play fastpitch or slowpitch?

Assuming fastpitch in order I would get:

Uniform you will be provided or need to by it from your League
Glove
Helmet
A few balls
Bat
Bat bag to lug your stuff around
Cleats - short-term tennis shoes are OK

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2016
Sorry for the late reply ahaha I had finals. ;;

I'm doing fastpitch, female, 14u, and I'm 5'1.

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA