Softball Field dimensions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

We are getting ready to host sectionals at our home facility. Right now it looks like 14U and possibly 12U will be playing on an adult softball field. The outfield fences are over 300'. We hosted a tournament earlier in the year and used a temporary fence, this time though the board says we can't afford the fence and our sanctioning body supposedly said it would be OK.

How many of you experience this on a regular basis? and are you OK with it. Biggest issue is balls in the gap are usually HRs if they make it to the fence (especially 12U)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I think we have all played on those fields. No big deal because like you said a ball hit into the gap may produce a HR, however the outfielders may also run down and catch a fly ball that may have been over the fence. Seen it happen plenty of times.

I would worry more about being able drag and chalk the field between games ;)

Jul 26, 2010
Tournaments in California, be it USSSA or ASA or what have you, are generally played 80% with NO fence or slowpitch fence. It's fine. Yes, line drives down the foul lines on fast grass become home runs, but since both teams play on the same field, it's still fair.

The girls love the fences, especially at 14u where you start seeing some hits over the fences, but not having a fence is quite the norm.

-W

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We have played on full size fields in the past, but it is certainly NOT our preference. I am not sure what sectionals you are hosting, but I would check with their officials to see if it is OK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32