So tired of hearing "it's not fair" from other parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I would be willing to bet that there would be a lot more tension if the majority were forced to stop doing something than there would be if she just didn't participate.

If the 8 in the prayer circle knew how the other 3 felt, they might say, 'I never thought of it that way, I don't want to make anybody feel uncomfortable or leave my friends out. Let's find a solution to this.'

When you're on the field, you are a team. Why would a team want to do anything on the ballfield that divided you?

Rather than looking at it as majority vs. minority, I see it as the request you are making to each side. To ask a group of kids to consider not doing a prayer circle on the field before and after games, or to consider ways of making them inclusive, is a minor favor, iMO.

But to ask someone to walk away from their teammates when they are doing a prayer circle, or to participate in a prayer circle that forces them to pretend to be something they are not, is a much bigger favor to ask.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Not to sound too rude, but so?
Because where do you draw the line?

That is why is a christian prayer circle ok. What if one of the girls want to lead the group in pray to Allah while the team bows to Mecca 3 times. Is that OK? If not, why?

I think this will be my last response in this thread. Not because I don't find the discussion interesting and worth talking about but rather I think we are starting to drift into territory that close to out of bounds with the site moderators.

Thanks for throwing in the humor!
Always happy to oblige

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
If the 8 in the prayer circle knew how the other 3 felt, they might say, 'I never thought of it that way, I don't want to make anybody feel uncomfortable or leave my friends out. Let's find a solution to this.'
The only solutions could be 1) stop 2) uncomfortable player avoid. Both have been mentioned previously

When you're on the field, you are a team. Why would a team want to do anything on the ballfield that divided you?
Exactly, so why would one ask the majority of others to do something different? Respect the team wishes and either participate or avoid without asking the team to do something else.

There isn't a way to avoid the majority/minority discussion. That's what it is. The minority wants the majority to change in the name of comfort or being offended. I'm simply stating that if team cohesion is that important, then let the team do what it wants and if and when one player needs, bow out gracefully. Don't seek to change the masses to suit your individual needs.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'm simply stating that if team cohesion is that important, then let the team do what it wants and if and when one player needs, bow out gracefully. Don't seek to change the masses to suit your individual needs.

OK, let the team do what it wants.

However, to make good decisions about what it wants, the team must know all the facts. Do all the players know that some players might be very uncomfortable with prayer circles? Do the players know why some Jewish people prefer not to say the Lord's Prayer or end prayers in ''Jesus name we pray''? Why not educate the players so that they can make an informed decision that considers everyone's feelings? It could be that all 11 players are on the same page. It could be that 3 players dread the prayer circles. If the team really wants to do the right thing, have a team meeting and encourage a non-judgmental discussion of the issue. Then let the players decide.

Jul 23, 2014
This is a fascinating discussion and I can see both sides. The one thing I keep coming back to is you'll never be able to structure anything that will make everyone happy. Can you acknowledge something without participating? Similar to standing for a national anthem for a foreign country or something like that?

We played a tournament in northern Arkansas and the other team invited our girls to join them in a prayer circle. The request caught our coaches and team off guard so it was a little awkward. Our girls participated and none of them seemed to be bothered by it but I will admit it was awkward as our kids had never been a part of anything like that before.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
This is a fascinating discussion and I can see both sides. The one thing I keep coming back to is you'll never be able to structure anything that will make everyone happy. Can you acknowledge something without participating? Similar to standing for a national anthem for a foreign country or something like that?

We played a tournament in northern Arkansas and the other team invited our girls to join them in a prayer circle. The request caught our coaches and team off guard so it was a little awkward. Our girls participated and none of them seemed to be bothered by it but I will admit it was awkward as our kids had never been a part of anything like that before.

Ah, northern Arkansas, where I grew up.

Next time be prepared. You missed a great chance to mess with their heads. Have your starting pitcher draw a pentagram in the dirt in the middle of the prayer circle, and have the team chant some weird stuff. Then, right before the first pitch, start up with the same chant.

OK, I doubt I would ask a team to do that, but why would that be any different than asking a non-Christian girl to join in prayer circle?

Jan 24, 2011
OK, let the team do what it wants.

However, to make good decisions about what it wants, the team must know all the facts. Do all the players know that some players might be very uncomfortable with prayer circles? Do the players know why some Jewish people prefer not to say the Lord's Prayer or end prayers in ''Jesus name we pray''? Why not educate the players so that they can make an informed decision that considers everyone's feelings? It could be that all 11 players are on the same page. It could be that 3 players dread the prayer circles. If the team really wants to do the right thing, have a team meeting and encourage a non-judgmental discussion of the issue. Then let the players decide.

I don't think this has to be an all or nothing kinda deal. Those who wish to participate should be able , just as the ones that don't shouldn't have to. If someone is uncomfortable going against the herd , then so be it. They have their own reasons for not doing it. Personal choices...they happen every day. Make your choice and commit to it.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I don't think this has to be an all or nothing kinda deal. Those who wish to participate should be able , just as the ones that don't shouldn't have to. If someone is uncomfortable going against the herd , then so be it. Personal choices...they happen every day

Yeah but somebody might get offended. And you have the right never to be offended. It's in the Constitution right next to the separation of church and state. :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Why is the post-game prayer circle usually held in the middle of the field and not behind the fence/backstop where it would be less prominent and less obvious as to who did or did not participate and also potentially be more inclusive (e.g., include families, friends, fans etc)?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
The one thing I keep coming back to is you'll never be able to structure anything that will make everyone happy.

Exactly ! If you don't like it, then don't do it.

Why on earth would one or two people try to change the desires of twelve just because they don't feel comfortable or offended???

Simply don't participate and respect the fact that there are others who want to participate.

It's insane. People want their wishes respected while at the same time not wanting to grant other people their wishes. I want to be treated special, but I won't treat you special?

What about the one or two players who want a prayer circle on a team that won't do it for fear of offending someone? Would they get the same consideration?

If you want to pray after a game, then do it wherever you can and allowed. If it's the circle then so be it. You don't have to move to the boonies so as not to offend anyone. If you don't want to have a prayer circle, then don't.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA