So...are you still happy with your TB Team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Not happy with our choice at the moment. Coach just berated her for what seemed like 10 minutes in the middle of a game over an admittedly very boneheaded decision on Sunday. But this was after a game where she pitched us to a win by getting 8 Ks and giving up 2 hits. No mention of the good pitching after the win, but real quick to pull the trigger and call her stupid and dumb when she makes mistakes on D. DD is checked out now and does not want to play for him and wants to take a break for a few months, which I am fine with, but I want her to confront this situation and not just take her ball and go home. So we are sleeping on it for a few days while spring break is shutting everything down and we will figure it out next week when practice resumes.

Oct 4, 2014
wow, I guess I should be happy when only one or two girls miss practice. not sure of your cost to play on this TB but to give a little idea of what happens around here, Pittsburgh. we pay 1k to get on team and have to do 2 fundraisers, night at the races $25 per ticket, we need to sell 4. we also do a raffle, 10 tickets at $10. for this we get a field outside before weather shuts us down. once a week and one for sure hitting session at our facility and have the option of first come first serve on a few unspoken for spots. when the weather goes bad, we get 2 hours in a field house per week and same hitting as before. we also do a 10 week D-1 training at the same field house in addition to our 2 hour indoor fielding and hitting. we usually get one or 2 girls that miss prior to March due to second sport but attendance is pretty good after basketball season. don't know if our org is big by others standards but we have 8 team with an average of 11 girls per team. I have 2 dds that play softball for two different orgs and both are very close in cost, fundraising and training opportunities. we also get two camps early on, octoberish, with two well known folks. one hitting CB and one fielding with HK. CB comes in monthly but there is an extra charge for anything after the first camp. hope this helps you gauge how your org is doing.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Not sure how anybody could be happy with a coach who uses pick-up players and has his own players sit. I personally find that to be about as Bush League as it gets and also believe it is unethical to the point that I'd be aggressively shopping for a new team.

That coach has no interest in his girls. He's in it for himself.

I'm not completely opposed to letting guests play more in some cases. We have a high school dark period in our state, so its a mad scramble to keep the 14U teams together during these months. If a coach lends me a couple of players as a courtesy, you bet I am going to treat them at least as equals on my team. It takes some management skill to do it right, but I think its the right thing to do. Now, if you are adding pickup players to an already large roster, I agree with Little Angels (unless it's the last qualifier ;).

Jun 11, 2013
I love the kids on our team. We aren't very good, but we play hard and are getting better. I am helping coach and we've got the players turned in the right direction and improving. Some of the parents (and grandparents are awful). One of the parents asked me why I was having them hit so many popups during the game. I told him next game we would give more line drive signs.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I love the kids on our team. We aren't very good, but we play hard and are getting better. I am helping coach and we've got the players turned in the right direction and improving. Some of the parents (and grandparents are awful). One of the parents asked me why I was having them hit so many popups during the game. I told him next game we would give more line drive signs.

Love this post.

I'm not completely opposed to letting guests play more in some cases. We have a high school dark period in our state, so its a mad scramble to keep the 14U teams together during these months. If a coach lends me a couple of players as a courtesy, you bet I am going to treat them at least as equals on my team. It takes some management skill to do it right, but I think its the right thing to do. Now, if you are adding pickup players to an already large roster, I agree with Little Angels (unless it's the last qualifier ;).

She said he used pick-up players and had his own players sit 80% of the tourney. I took from that the assumption that he had enough players already (and therefore was able to sit some players).

I am OK with pick-up players if you need them to make a full team. It happens sometimes (especially on ill-conceived 14U teams). But if you have your own players sitting in favor of pick-ups for anything other than disciplinary reasons, it's a no-no in my book.

Not happy with our choice at the moment. Coach just berated her for what seemed like 10 minutes in the middle of a game over an admittedly very boneheaded decision on Sunday. But this was after a game where she pitched us to a win by getting 8 Ks and giving up 2 hits. No mention of the good pitching after the win, but real quick to pull the trigger and call her stupid and dumb when she makes mistakes on D. DD is checked out now and does not want to play for him and wants to take a break for a few months, which I am fine with, but I want her to confront this situation and not just take her ball and go home. So we are sleeping on it for a few days while spring break is shutting everything down and we will figure it out next week when practice resumes.

Definitely sleep on it for a few days and cool off before you do anything, JJ.

As a coach, I make this mistake. I am one of the most positive coaches you will ever see, but I also know that you must correct things while they are still fresh in the minds of the players and this knowledge will sometimes lead me to mention a screw-up but fail to mention something good.

A few weeks ago, we had a pitcher who tossed a complete game one-hitter that we won 3-1, but I mentioned to her a particularly poor at-bat she had when she popped up with runners on second and third because she failed to make an easy adjustment at the plate. The opposing pitcher was a bit slower than we're used to and she was way ahead of the ball her first two swings and continued to be too early on the third swing, which resulted in the easy out. That game was closer than it needed to be and I felt that her failure to make a simple adjustment needed to be pointed out to her while it was still fresh in her mind.

I know I should have mentioned the great pitching, but we were playing again in 10 minutes and I hadn't made out a lineup yet. It happens.

Mar 3, 2015
Michigan
DD is looking for a new team. She was promised the world and delivered nothing. I am not going to pay elite fees for an all star schedule.

May 6, 2014
Love DD's coaches, love DD's teammates, love the teammates' parents. Not a single complaint. They are all really fantastic. Her head coach tells her like it is, doesn't harp on physical errors so much as mental errors, because physical errors are going to happen in 10U.

We are trying to fundraise to support our Nationals trip and our organization is giving us the hint that not all $ our team raises will come back to us but rather we will get a portion of it determined by the board. This isn't sitting pretty with me, considering our parents are the only ones busting our butts to put on a fundraiser in a short period of time. Lots of political drama. I don't think we will be with the organization next season (neither will the coaches).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan