So...are you still happy with your TB Team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2014
Upper Midwest
chrispots, I enjoy a good rant. That said, I hope you re-read your post before shopping for the next team. You're really shopping for a coach.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I am OK with pick-up players if you need them to make a full team. It happens sometimes (especially on ill-conceived 14U teams). But if you have your own players sitting in favor of pick-ups for anything other than disciplinary reasons, it's a no-no in my book.

Unless you are in OC, it can be challenging to have a true 8th grade team going this time of year. For outlying areas, you might need to have some returning 9th graders if you want to play in premier events during the summer. It doesn't necessarily mean the team was ill conceived; it's just a function of a limited player pool.

Dec 19, 2012
'Tis the season when people here seem to focus on High School and rec ball...and for the HS gals, travel ball is in hiatus for a bit...

So let me ask...are you still happy with your TB team choice?

This will be my dd's 3rd year with the same team and same coach.

Unless you are in OC, it can be challenging to have a true 8th grade team going this time of year. For outlying areas, you might need to have some returning 9th graders if you want to play in premier events during the summer. It doesn't necessarily mean the team was ill conceived; it's just a function of a limited player pool.

I am lucky enough to not have to worry about the player pool. I also am adamant about not allowing high school girls to try out for a first-year 14U team I am coaching.

I could fill a rather large legal pad with the names of folks over the years who have come to me asking to pick-up and complaining about their current teams because they wanted their first-year 14U girl to be on a "better" team with more mature players so they went with a team that had a large number of second-year players on it so they could feel like their girl was "playing up" or something like that. It is no secret that around here, TB shuts down for high school so I see no reason why they wouldn't have anticipated this and realized their 8th grade girl would be not playing for a few months.

I have to say that I am sorry, but I have 12 girls this weekend and every weekend thereafter and have no room for a pick-up.

I say that if you're not in high school, find a team that stays playing, even if it means taking a small step down in quality. See my signature line, below......

coachbob - Forgot to mention one thing ....

I think the real hard part is for families with a DD who has a pre Jan. 1 birthday .... i.e. a girl born in December or such that is on the older side for her grade ... a girl who has no choice but to play 14U when she's in the 7th grade. It's hard because it will be nearly impossible for them to find a team that won't be shutting down for HS ball the following year.

My advise to these folks is to look at it as if your DD will need to play on a first-year 14U team for two years due to her unfortunate birth date. This means she'll need a new team after her first year at 14U, and that they should be scouting the second-year 12U teams intensely trying to find possible matches for her the following year.

It kind of sucks, but it happens quite a bit.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
DD #3's TB experience has been pretty good.

She is more into softball than most of even all of the other kids. Some people have asked me why I didn't have her try out for an A level team.

The thing is, my work situation has been very unstable for a while. I went from being in the same company for over a decade to a series of consulting positions. Right now I only get home on weekends.

So, I kept her on a team with coaches who live a few blocks away, and who have been great about giving her rides. They are great coaches and she loves the girls on her team.

OTOH, the A level teams are all more than an hour drive away and she wouldn't know the coaches and the other kids.

There is no perfect situation. She is having fun, with a team where the players support each other.

Oct 8, 2014
She said he used pick-up players and had his own players sit 80% of the tourney. I took from that the assumption that he had enough players already (and therefore was able to sit some players).

I am OK with pick-up players if you need them to make a full team. It happens sometimes (especially on ill-conceived 14U teams). But if you have your own players sitting in favor of pick-ups for anything other than disciplinary reasons, it's a no-no in my book.[/QUOTE

Normally the coach wants to have about three subs in case someone get hurts, leave or early or something else. He have gotten guest players the few tournaments they played(it is a new team). One of the guest players has been another pitcher to help his daughter pitch. I talked to my daughter about finding a team that would be interested in her pitching, she doesn't want to, she likes everyone and feels comfortable where she is. Last year my daughter played 14u and have moved to 18u. The coach is looking to start playing showcases soon.

Feb 3, 2011
There is no perfect situation. She is having fun, with a team where the players support each other.
That's pretty much all I care about right there. I believe it's important for DD to be challenged and I would hope she's learning how to become a competitor, but having her surrounded by a generally good group of kids is priceless to me.

I'm happy with our family's situation. The team took one on the chin Sunday afternoon, but had also earned a tough win earlier the same day. The girls have played a few great games already this season including a deep run on the consolation side out in Vegas, but we aren't playing anywhere near our potential yet. I say "we", because as coaches, we are still have a lot to learn and are hopefully improving, too. To be fair, I think that progression as a defensive unit maybe hasn't been as rapid, because girls on our team get to play multiple positions and I'm talking about more than a token inning here and there. From a development perspective, our coaching staff agrees that's a goal of ours and our parents are supportive of this.

I'll get to talk with our HC about what I'd hope to see more of over the next month. I told him he did as perfect a managerial job on Saturday as one could and he already knows some of my concerns. Once we get to May 1st, I know more parents will be eagerly trying to figure out where their next stop on the TB trail is, so I hope by then that our team is rounding into form such that everyone will want to remain part of the group as the girls move to 14u in the fall. I know there's almost a 0% chance of keeping an entire team together, but talent-wise, this is as good a group as you'll find in our area.

I absolutely love our organization and hope DD will choose to remain a part of it next season.

Dec 11, 2010
Yes and yes.

One dd went to a established team with excellent reputation and coaching. (She came from a team that also had excellent coaching but the chemistry just got out of sorts toward the end.)

The other dd is a pitcher, went to a team with 4 other pitchers and it seemed like we were taking a chance. We let dd decide and she really wanted to play with this group of players. It has turned out beyond our best expectations. Chemistry is gelling and girls and team are just getting better and better. Somehow having that many pitchers has worked well so far.

We are blessed. I think both dd's will very much enjoy the summer.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
chrispots, I enjoy a good rant. That said, I hope you re-read your post before shopping for the next team. You're really shopping for a coach.

Thank you...I should have been clearer...We are shopping for a coach...

And I'll be the first to admit I'm the biggest PITA because I'm a head coach too and believe that the HC should be committed to his team...but all the bleeping bleep bleep nonsense that happens (just like it happened last year) was all worked out between parents and coaches before the season started...nothing has changed...terrible...

Oh...and I accept the blame...I should have followed my gut and moved her last August...

She had a great workout with another team last night (practice was well planned\team executed things well\good discipline) and I am familiar with the success\coaching of the team she is working out with next week...

Thanks again...excellent point on your part...CP

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach