slowpitch ball vs fastpitch ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
just got back from a game that saw one team use a asa certified softball and the other team use a green
dot slowpitch ball (for the first 2 innings)and was just wondering what the pros and cons of using a slowpitch ball. it seemed to me that once the slowpitch ball was thrown out, their hits didnt seem to go as far.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2015
Green dots are only 11 inch I believe, was the other ball 11" or 12"? 11" will obviously go farther. The other thing is that the seams are likely flatter on the slowpitch ball, and thus it will fly farther.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2014
Interesting tidbit. My DD conducted an experiment for her science project: which ball would go further, 11" or 12". She did 3 trials of each size, throwing from home plate to the outfield, then hitting off a tee to the outfield. The 12" actually went further on both throwing and hitting, in every trial. Now this isn't an exact science but it was just her throwing and hitting so she was the constant (using same effort each time), we were surprised by the results. Science project is due next month and she is going to have to come up with a conclusion as to why LOL

May 11, 2014
thank you for the reply. they were both 11 in. its an 8u league. after the game it was discussed but nobody knows enough about the different balls to really have an answer, so i was just curious.

May 11, 2014
i am very interested in her conclusions. im just amazed at all the different ball combinations(red, green, etc), cant we just pick one and play

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I they are the same size then the only difference between them would be Compression and/or Coefficient of Restitution (COR). These combined attributes will determine how lively or dead a ball will perform. The following is fairly technical but if you plow through it you will understand the effects.

Softball COR and Compression

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish