Sloowww mooovingg playerrsss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2017
Assuming you mean quickness, hustle and general urgency when fielding/running etc.

This is 100% in the head although I am not sure if it based solely on fear of failure, a measure or uncertainty or just a lazy attitude. I suspect it is some combination of them all in various degrees.

I have players both male and female who would not attack a ball or be aggressive because of uncertainty in their skills and quite often a parent who doesn’t understand what an error is or places too much emphasis on being perfect at too young an age. I had a young man let every pop up drop next to him for fear of dropping it and catching crap from parents so he would pull up short and would not hustle. Some kids will hold the ball forever because they don’t know where to throw or are overwhelmed.

On the other hand there are kids where everything is urgent so basically it is hot potato or run half way around the field on the bases...so...

Usually maturing and practice remove and the rest are just weeded out through natural selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
The one thing my DD lacks in both softball and bball is aggressiveness e.g. she doesn't (yet) have that this my ball, I am taking charge sort of attitude. In softball it typically shows up on in-between balls, e.g. something either she or the 3B or the 2B or the OF can get. I've told her as a SS, and the best athlete on the team, everything is yours until somebody calls you off but oftentimes I see her pull up on a ball when she shouldn't. She did seem to improve on this at the end of the year and of course what happened twice was she ran into an OF who never called her off after DD called it but also didn't stop running.. :cautious:

Jan 28, 2017
My DD looks quick as a cat at SS and slow as turtle dust at 2nd base. Gets off the mound very fast on bunts. Looks very slow running the bases most of the time but quick sometimes. Drives me crazy. One thing that I have really noticed lately is that she can't turn. Rounding first looks like it hurts.

Jun 8, 2016
Patter, DD got destroyed in the field a few times and became scidish. Never could get her out of it.

Wish you luck.
The collisions were not too bad luckily..hopefully there will be no lasting repercussions.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
"Sense of urgency" in my opinion is a character trait. Some have it. Some don't. Some can learn it. Some never do. There are other things involved as well; laziness, lack of aggression, etc. In many cases it can just be a lack of passion. I have one person that works in my office. She is very good at her job, but also very slowww... She has the ability, but doesn't have the passion. But if her cell phone beeps, watch out. All of a sudden the urgency is there 🤷‍♂️

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Wonder if this is associated with fight or flight mechanism?
How some people react by
retreating, freezing or fighting?

May 21, 2018
The one thing my DD lacks in both softball and bball is aggressiveness e.g. she doesn't (yet) have that this my ball, I am taking charge sort of attitude. In softball it typically shows up on in-between balls, e.g. something either she or the 3B or the 2B or the OF can get. I've told her as a SS, and the best athlete on the team, everything is yours until somebody calls you off but oftentimes I see her pull up on a ball when she shouldn't. She did seem to improve on this at the end of the year and of course what happened twice was she ran into an OF who never called her off after DD called it but also didn't stop running.. :cautious:

We had a game where the coach had to pull our starting shortstop because she was making so many errors. She was mentally shot. So coach puts our center fielder in at SS, and the first play is a pop-up in no mans land between short and left field. Both go for it. Collision. Ball drops. Our parents all stand up and cheer because it was the first time we actually had two girls be aggressive attacking a ball in the barren waste land that is the shallow outfield.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Initially DD was really aggressive. Said to say circumstances and poor coaching took it out of her.

HC's DD played SS, they tried DD at 3rd for a few games. Unfortunately DD thought she was the SS and shutdown the left side of the field so HC's DD never got a ball. Solution, move DD to OF so thier DD could field a ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying