Sloowww mooovingg playerrsss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Initially DD was really aggressive. Said to say circumstances and poor coaching took it out of her.

HC's DD played SS, they tried DD at 3rd for a few games. Unfortunately DD thought she was the SS and shutdown the left side of the field so HC's DD never got a ball. Solution, move DD to OF so thier DD could field a ball.
Your DD fielded balls hit right at the SS and to her left?? That is impressive :LOL:

Feb 20, 2020
Part of it is reaction time and fast-twitch muchness versus slow twitch. Some people just aren't as fast to react as others. I think reflexes can be worked on, but like most things, there's a natural limit to how far you can improve. That's why finding the right position for players is important, too.

Last edited:

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
Some players just do not have or never will have the “urgency”. It is very hard to teach but easy to destroy. My oldest DD had a coach that got on players for making base running mistakes, she was and still is a base to base runner, my youngest, was encouraged by every coach she’s had to be aggressive on the bases, look for the next base and anticipate, while she is not as fast she routinely takes extra bases, sometimes she’ll get caught but definitely makes it more often than not.

May 21, 2015
South
If practices are slow with a lot of talking and standing around, this can translate to the field during games. Practices should be brisk and physically challenging. Also, players should never be allowed to walk on the field. When on the field you are always running. Even when cleaning up after practice. Defense should always sprint to positions at the beginning of an inning.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
1 player we had played RF. Every pitch they ran behind 1st base, made me tired watching them. Settled them down a little bit.

Errors you will not get in trouble for but not getting to your base or backing up there is trouble. It is kind of a fine line.

We played a team that 2nd was taught to go to 2nd. They missed the part about fielding the ball first. We had about 5 hits right were she should have been. Not her fault, she was giving her all.

Aug 25, 2019
We had a game where the coach had to pull our starting shortstop because she was making so many errors. She was mentally shot. So coach puts our center fielder in at SS, and the first play is a pop-up in no mans land between short and left field. Both go for it. Collision. Ball drops. Our parents all stand up and cheer because it was the first time we actually had two girls be aggressive attacking a ball in the barren waste land that is the shallow outfield.
Yep, same thing happens to my 2B DD. She'll run out to right field, yelling "I got it" and she hears the RF coming in yelling "I got it", and both stop and ball falls in. And speaking of "I got it", it seems coaches teach that right off the bat. A girl may very well be yelling "I got it", when in fact she doesn't really have a good chance of getting it. I've seen my DD call that too, She's yelling "I got it" because she's chasing it, only to see it fall in because she never had it.

Feb 3, 2016
Had a couple of Catcher's that if you got on them at all would stop putting effort in. Can't even count how many bases we gave up because it was about the Catcher and not the team.

Sad. Unfortunately they could count and knew they could get away with it with little recourse.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
*Not talking about running speed
Rather players that do not have a sense of urgency.

Shows in slow body speed.

Have encountered these players that for whatever reason, even with other players around them as quick examples...remain sloth like...
(even tho they like the game and want to play)

Whats the thoughts here?
Is there an age where if there is no faster gear ....well...what happens?
Certainly know coaches get frustrated with it.

Is this a mindset issue?
Or
Physical something?

I think it really depends on the age of the player. My daughter will be 9 in March and this fall she played 10u. She is definitely slower than alot of the girls Out there. Some os bc she is just slow, but a big reason is bc she is still processing what she has to do when the ball is hit to her.the mechanics are there, but the muscle memory isnt there yet when it comes to adding speed along with it.

I think for older players, it could be a combination of the above or they just donthave that fast twitch ability like a lot of athletes. That once agin comes down to muscle memory.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If player runs when I say GO, they are late already. IMO That is the mindset.

I do not know about the twitch.

Parents thought DD was fastest player on Team, she was not. She always pays attention to game and pushes when she can. Mistakes yes but that next base is hers.

Feb 3, 2016
Type C. Had two players 16u that just didn't give a crap about anyone but themselves. Both physically capable players that only hustled when it suited them. When they did try they were great.

Both had the phone's in hand while strolling into practice and both had logged 16 hours on the dream killer every single day.
They both disrespected teachers, parents and had a tough time being coached. One is Now done with softball as she won't listen too any adult. The other can mash so another coach is putting up with her nonsense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog