Sloowww mooovingg playerrsss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016

"Type A individuals tend to be very competitive and self-critical. They strive toward goals without feeling a sense of joy in their efforts or accomplishments.

Interrelated with this is the presence of a significant life imbalance. This is characterized by a high work involvement. Type A individuals are easily ‘wound up’ and tend to overreact. They also tend to have high blood pressure (hypertension)."

:oops:

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I inherited 2 on my team this year. One of them is an OFer. She's quick and does well fielding but she is more concerned with having a pretty swing and making contact than smashing the ball. Thus her swing is SLOOOWWWWW and no amount of working with her is going to fix it as she doesn't want it fixed. That's why she's not in the line-up in bracket play (DP/Flex)

The other is a catcher. If there is a WP or PB that ends up back at he backstop, she'll jog to it. I've talked to her about it and I got this, "My mind is telling me I'm running hard. I'm sprinting coach!" At 14U not dropping and blocking and jogging to the ball doesn't work behind the plate in games. So I don't put her there. Her parents are upset she's not getting her plate time. I told them the same thing I told my catcher...If she wants plate time, she needs to drop and block/stop the ball and when she doesn't, she needs to hustle to get it. If either one isn't accomplished, she won't play the position. We'll see what happens.

May 21, 2018
"Type A individuals tend to be very competitive and self-critical. They strive toward goals without feeling a sense of joy in their efforts or accomplishments.

Interrelated with this is the presence of a significant life imbalance. This is characterized by a high work involvement. Type A individuals are easily ‘wound up’ and tend to overreact. They also tend to have high blood pressure (hypertension)."

:oops:
....and spontaneous bouts of cap/water bottle throwing? :p

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Type C. Had two players 16u that just didn't give a crap about anyone but themselves. Both physically capable players that only hustled when it suited them. When they did try they were great.

Both had the phone's in hand while strolling into practice and both had logged 16 hours on the dream killer every single day.
They both disrespected teachers, parents and had a tough time being coached. One is Now done with softball as she won't listen too any adult. The other can mash so another coach is putting up with her nonsense.
Hmmm?
Guess if players like that are allowed to play on a team that stuff will be allowed.

Much prefer STANDARDS !

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I inherited 2 on my team this year. One of them is an OFer. She's quick and does well fielding but she is more concerned with having a pretty swing and making contact than smashing the ball. Thus her swing is SLOOOWWWWW and no amount of working with her is going to fix it as she doesn't want it fixed. That's why she's not in the line-up in bracket play (DP/Flex)

The other is a catcher. If there is a WP or PB that ends up back at he backstop, she'll jog to it. I've talked to her about it and I got this, "My mind is telling me I'm running hard. I'm sprinting coach!" At 14U not dropping and blocking and jogging to the ball doesn't work behind the plate in games. So I don't put her there. Her parents are upset she's not getting her plate time. I told them the same thing I told my catcher...If she wants plate time, she needs to drop and block/stop the ball and when she doesn't, she needs to hustle to get it. If either one isn't accomplished, she won't play the position. We'll see what happens.
( as a side note~ have met catchers who said its not fun when they have to purposely get hit by pitches cuz thats what they were told.
'just get on knees and get hit by it'
~ when they found out there are mechanics to use glove and field the mass majority of dirt pitches ~ they were MUCH happier to NOT get bruised ...which is like punishment of the catching position.

Fielding dirt pitches =
Less bruises
Less chasing the ball
It controls the ball to be able to throw runners out without delay.
Less runners stealing.
More confident pitcher.
Better dynamic.
BETTER OUTCOME !

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2016
Hmmm?
Guess if players like that are allowed to play on a team that stuff will be allowed.

Much prefer STANDARDS !
Tough year trying to be both coach and a quasi parent. Teams in need will endure more than they should to keep girls on the dirt.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
( as a side note~ have met catchers who said its not fun when they have to purposely get hit by pitches cuz thats what they were told.
'just get on knees and get hit by it'
~ when they found out there are mechanics to use glove and field the mass majority of dirt pitches ~ they were MUCH happier to NOT get bruised ...which is like punishment of the catching position.

Fielding dirt pitches =
Less bruises
Less chasing the ball
It controls the ball to be able to throw runners out without delay.
Less runners stealing.
More confident pitcher.
Better dynamic.
BETTER OUTCOME !
While I agree with you, she can't field the dirt pitches. She doesn't do it properly or in a timely fashion. She's just slow all around. In the advanced years (14U and up), I teach it also. This the first one in 15 years of teaching that has failed in all aspects. I know it's partially on me, maybe because I haven't demonstrated it properly or explained it in such a fashion as she can understand properly, but it's also a problem that she doesn't practice at home...at all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478