Sloowww mooovingg playerrsss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I have been told by more than 1 coach that unless they are into running and are in shape, when "girls" age into "ladies" they have reached their fastest comparative speed. That's why it's different but close for all players.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"

Is this a mindset issue?
Or
Physical something?

Think it can be one or the other but usually a little of both.
Many physically slower player are slower mentally too. (not always) In fact some physically slower players can become quicker in game speed because they have that sense of urgency and a high game IQ.
Example: Runner on 1st. Slow roller hit to 3rd base (only play is at 1st) 1st baseman fails to dig out a should be caught throw from 3rd baseman because she was not in a good athletic position to begin with. Ball scurries past her and she without any sense of urgency retrieves the ball, doesn't realize its a live ball and the runner is now rounding 3rd. Teamates and coaches hollering "home". She double shuffles and throws late and run scores.

5-10-5 shuttles (over and over and over)

Mar 4, 2015
New England
*Not talking about running speed
Rather players that do not have a sense of urgency.

Shows in slow body speed.

Have encountered these players that for whatever reason, even with other players around them as quick examples...remain sloth like...
(even tho they like the game and want to play)

Whats the thoughts here?
Is there an age where if there is no faster gear ....well...what happens?
Certainly know coaches get frustrated with it.

Is this a mindset issue?
Or
Physical something?

Seriously though (after my lollygag post), I believe some of the answer lies in why certain players play the game. The more they play for themselves and for the joy of competing and being good at what they do, they more than have what I might call ''good timing.'' They know when to be in a hurry (slow grounder), and when to take it easy (hard grounder). It's because they want to be good, and so they're self-motivated to figure these things out on their own. They're therefore faster learners because they're self-taught in effect. Those who play for other reasons (such as they just being part of a team, like to please their coaches/parents, whatever) are slower to pick up on these little nuances. They wait to be coached instead of spending time to figure it out themselves.

There might be lots of reasons that explain the phenomenon you're observing, but I think this is one that didn't make sense to me until I'd coached and observed it closely for 10 years.

Nov 18, 2015
Our 1st year 12U team is plagued with this. To borrow a Rich Balswick phrase - we are lacking a sense of "urgency" in our movements. There's much more "observe, evaluate, act" than just "go!". Our best athlete is our best baserunner, who of course is our fielder with the greatest range, is only slightly above average in terms of timed H-1B or 2B-H runs. While one of our speediest plays 1B, but can't get to pop-ups more than a few feet into foul territory.

And don't even ask about that fielding dead-zone / black hole behind 3B/SS, where sooooo many mis-hit pop flies still manage to find the dirt, rather than a glove.

I think this relates to what I see a lot in girls basketball - the reluctance to just grab the ball from the player in front of you. There's a bit of a innate "cooperation" instinct that needs to be overcome to get a player to WANT to go get it, and get it NOW. At this point, I don't know if there's a point where it kicks in for the girls, or if these slower players, despite their current love and dedication to the game, are the ones who are done with softball in the next year or two.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD played with a player who could be really good when she wanted to, she just did not care sometimes.

Almost always my fallback is asked DD about her. Her response was That is Sally. Live with it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Seriously though (after my lollygag post), I believe some of the answer lies in why certain players play the game. The more they play for themselves and for the joy of competing and being good at what they do, they more than have what I might call ''good timing.'' They know when to be in a hurry (slow grounder), and when to take it easy (hard grounder). It's because they want to be good, and so they're self-motivated to figure these things out on their own. They're therefore faster learners because they're self-taught in effect. Those who play for other reasons (such as they just being part of a team, like to please their coaches/parents, whatever) are slower to pick up on these little nuances. They wait to be coached instead of spending time to figure it out themselves.

There might be lots of reasons that explain the phenomenon you're observing, but I think this is one that didn't make sense to me until I'd coached and observed it closely for 10 years.

"they wait to be coached instead of figuring it out for themselves"
Thats a fantastic suggestion and possibility!
And yet some even after the coaching over years...no urgency.

Obviously learning curve to things happens.
Wonder if a bee was chasing them what would happen?!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Our 1st year 12U team is plagued with this. To borrow a Rich Balswick phrase - we are lacking a sense of "urgency" in our movements. There's much more "observe, evaluate, act" than just "go!". Our best athlete is our best baserunner, who of course is our fielder with the greatest range, is only slightly above average in terms of timed H-1B or 2B-H runs. While one of our speediest plays 1B, but can't get to pop-ups more than a few feet into foul territory.

And don't even ask about that fielding dead-zone / black hole behind 3B/SS, where sooooo many mis-hit pop flies still manage to find the dirt, rather than a glove.

I think this relates to what I see a lot in girls basketball - the reluctance to just grab the ball from the player in front of you. There's a bit of a innate "cooperation" instinct that needs to be overcome to get a player to WANT to go get it, and get it NOW. At this point, I don't know if there's a point where it kicks in for the girls, or if these slower players, despite their current love and dedication to the game, are the ones who are done with softball in the next year or two.
Great read! And really like the conversation with the team
"Theres more observe, evaluate, act, than just GO!"

radness

Dec 13, 2019
DD played with a player who could be really good when she wanted to, she just did not care sometimes.

Almost always my fallback is asked DD about her. Her response was That is Sally. Live with it.
Wasnt sure what emoji to post with that?
Pain
Irritation
Sad face

But its the 'could be the case' that makes it a good post!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06