Slo-mo Video of daughter's swing. Need some analysis please!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
bh9fk.gif

Aug 2, 2011
Thanks FFS. That helps! I didn't teach a stride to her until recently, and we will work toward the kind of stride and launch as seen above.

One thing: When I hear people say separation between the top and bottom half, I assume it to mean separation in the sense that the bottom half of the body is rotating ahead of the top half. FFS are you saying that the separation is in the sense that the hands (upper body) go back while the foot (lower body) move forward. In that way we have 2 kinds of separation between upper and lower body. Rotational and horizontal?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
ES ... I don't recommend teaching stride per-say, so much as I recommend teaching loading. A 'stride' should be, IMO, simply the 'result' of a good loading process.

The sequence can exist with, or without, a stride. See Pujols for a good example of moving the rear hip forward (forward-by-coiling) without striding.

The 'separation' you are speaking of is sometimes referred to as dynamic hip/shoulder spatial separation. To get there, without first embedding the sequence we are discussing right now, will be painful and failure prone. Sure, you'll be able to force such separation in tee swings, but it won't be natural and it will often disappear in the batter's box. You have cheated the sequence in your teachings ... and because of this everything you attempt to teach will be more difficult, and a large amount will need to be relearned once the proper sequence is introduced.

Aug 2, 2011
Sorry FFS, I have missed what actually the "sequence" entails. I also can't find a clear exposition of it in a search. Can you direct me? I want to go back to the beginning and get her on the right track. Thanks!

Aug 3, 2013
I'm having trouble visualizing it. Is there any video of the drill? Thanks!

I dont have a video but its pretty simple... Batter stands at home plate with back towards pitcher, front towards catcher. You stand in lh batters box, toss her some balls so they would land on home plate. she hits them into center field. (use a net to catch balls of course) its almost like hitting an extremely inside pitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207