Slo-mo Video of daughter's swing. Need some analysis please!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2011
My daughter just made her first 10U ASA team. Here is some slo-mo vid. of her swing. It seems to me that she does a pretty good job of keeping her hands close to her body and throwing the knob toward the pitcher. Her stride looks a little off to me, which she is just incorporating. The follow through also doesn't have extension toward the pitcher. I know there a multitude of problems compared with a proper MLB swing, but can anyone give me what they think would be the biggest problem. Not all of them, but just the one that we should tackle first. Thanks!

Aug 3, 2013
Very nice swing!! Might just be where the video started but doesnt look like she gets much of a pre-load. Also, has little to no seperation between top/bottom half. (hips generate the power and the hands go along for the ride) Hard to see because you didnt get the feet but is she spinning the back foot like she's squishing a bug or is she coming up on her toe at contact? But very nice swing overall. Great job keeping the head on the ball throughout. Keep it up!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Same as I said to someone else earlier. I would work on developing the rear leg/hip engine. SnF drills or similiar. Drills to get her to feel what it is like to have stretch between the lower half and upper half. The lower for me being the rear leg. The upper being the rear hip. Feel the "wringing of the rag" between the femur and the hip. Feel the pressure at the rear foot that wants to turn the toes to the catcher. Feel all of that launching the swing. The engine powering it. I have done it enough with even un-athletic girls to know that even if she doesn't do it perfect, it will greatly increase her power.

Work on the details later.

Aug 2, 2011
Sting Ray. I taught her to generate power with her hips so I think your observation that she is generating power with her hips and her hands are going along for ride is correct. How do I correct this? I think I emphasized rotating the hips because when I coached her rec. team the most common problem was that they just swang with their arms. No hips rotating. She is doing okay shifting her weight on to the front leg and off the back foot. She doesn't do a powerful transfer where her front leg locks up and takes all of the weight shift like you see in professional swings though.

I also think you are right about the separation between top and bottom half. I have her do what is called a double turn drill. It is where she rotates her hips like she is swinging but she keeps her hand back in the stride position. Other than that I don't have a good separation drill. I can see her hips aren't ahead enough of her hands.

Aug 3, 2013
you may want to try the drill where she would stand with her back to where the pitcher would be and do some side toss so she has to clear her hips first to hit the ball solid. she would be hitting the ball back toward where the pitcher would be if there were one. you want her to feel like her hips turn while her hands/shoulders stay back and are slingshotted through..

im no expert though....just another dad that played baseball for 12 years and coach my own two girls. good luck!!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Very nice swing!! Might just be where the video started but doesnt look like she gets much of a pre-load. Also, has little to no seperation between top/bottom half. (hips generate the power and the hands go along for the ride) Hard to see because you didnt get the feet but is she spinning the back foot like she's squishing a bug or is she coming up on her toe at contact? But very nice swing overall. Great job keeping the head on the ball throughout. Keep it up!

Bold above .... yes. The issue IMO is that the swing suffers from being out of sequence. Until the sequence is taught this kid will likely struggle.

Aug 2, 2011
So by that I take it to mean that a good place to start is getting separation between the top and bottom half? Is there a drill you can refer me to? So the hips need to be much further ahead of the top half? Also the hands going along for the ride makes some sense to me. What should I tell her to do with her hands? Thanks!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The rear hip should gain ground as the hands move back towards the launch position.

34yzkfs.gif

2u5z02s.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00