Sledging in Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Contrary to popular belief here, umpires are human and enjoy being entertained, even if they can't show it. Of course, they'd rather have a catcher who protects them. They're most happy when a catcher can do both well.

I was hoping you would shed some light on the subject:). A good catcher knows how to push the limit, verbally. Some of my most memorable at bats were from the catcher's witty chat. Didn't matter if I struck out, flew out, grounded out, got on base.................if I got my money's worth chatting up with catcher............it was worth while.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I was hoping you would shed some light on the subject:). A good catcher knows how to push the limit, verbally. Some of my most memorable at bats were from the catcher's witty chat. Didn't matter if I struck out, flew out, grounded out, got on base.................if I got my money's worth chatting up with catcher............it was worth while.

Cash is so cumbersome. You can give me your bank account number or, if its more convenient, just set up direct deposit for your paycheck to my bank account. Just let me know your preference. As the relationship grows, I wouldn't be opposed to giving you some fat pitches to hit in meaningless situations so you can pad your stats.

Apr 15, 2012
Contrary to popular belief here, umpires are human and enjoy being entertained, even if they can't show it. Of course, they'd rather have a catcher who protects them. They're most happy when a catcher can do both well.

This is not a catcher story but I thought it fit. Last year at the World Series in Branson, my DD, all of 4'5 and 75 lbs was playing 2nd base. There was a girl on 1st so the ump was playing close to 2nd base. Between pitches my DD walks over to the ump and says, "excuse me sir, but you might want to look out, I don't want to run you over." I seen him laughing and say something back to her. She turned around with a big smile on her face. Between innings he comes over to the dugout and, "that second baseman sure is a spitfire isn't she?" The HC was like, oh she sure is, what did she say. He told us and laughed, then said he told her, thanks for the warning honey, I'll try to stay out of your way. It's a pretty funny story. My DD is one of the smallest girls on the team but she would never tell you that. Her nick name is Sky Scrapper....lol

Oct 19, 2009
I once had a catcher serenade me with the song from the Lipton Cup of Soup commercial. I was so caught off guard and began laughing uncontrollably. Yea, I struck out.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I like catchers who sing Jingle Bells or White Christmas. Nothing gets a batters attention like a wintery tune in July. :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd is the queen of the stare down after the trash talking is done. It started when she was 12 and at a 3-0 count 3rd base coach on the other team yells out. she doesn't want to pitch to you, take the walk, 3 pitches later (strike out) my dd stalking back to our dugout staring at the 3b coach she said something under her breath that got the coach to turn around. I asked her what she said, she said "shes walking alright" Last year she got an earful from a mom from the other team. My dd was batting, 3-0 count with bases loaded. Mom starts needling her. Tells her dd, she is just hoping for a walk, throw it down the middle she won't swing. DD looks at the 3rd base coach, he shrugs his shoulders and takes off the take sign. Frozen rope off the fence, she gave the pitcher the stare and then from 3rd she gave it to mom.

You have to be careful when you try to piss off the other team you might piss off the wrong kid. Much better to try to make them laugh or confused, it works a whole lot better and you look less foolish when it doesn't work

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
...am I the only one who had never heard this term? Sledging? It is a Cricket term. The only crickets around where I live aren't out now.

Jun 18, 2010
...am I the only one who had never heard this term? Sledging? It is a Cricket term. The only crickets around where I live aren't out now.

I haven't heard of it either, but I am enjoying the discussion.

We have two girls on our team that like to flip it, and try to get under the catcher's skin... when they come up to the plate they take big swiping motions with their feet to "prepare" the area they will be standing in... it just so happens the catcher gets a load of dirt kicked in her way especially if she is of the "chatty" variety.

Nov 27, 2012
The thing I see in softball is the parents or coaches try to say things to get into the kids head, which is not right. Anyway our 10u has this funny cheer that cracks me up everytime.
Pitcher got a wedgie
go wedgie go wedgie go
Wedgie getting deeper
go wedgie go wedgie go....

Mar 13, 2010
Sledging is definitely cricket. Some of them are hysterical but a tad rude (sanitised, Australian player asking an Indian player why he was so fat. Indian player told him every time I cuddle your wife she gives me a cookie)

I see it more in the men's game than the women's. I had a catcher once sing the national anthem when I came up. I got struck out but the next batter sung it with her and put it over the fence.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal