Sledging in Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I a not an expert on the rules, but I did see an umpire warn a bench one time that they were not allowed to say anything derogatory or call out players on the other team by name, number or position. In my 5 years of TB, I have never seen what I would consider 'sledging'.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Funny Willie May story:

A new catcher comes up to the bigs. Willie Mays comes to the plate, so the kid decides that it would be smart to distract Mays by talking to him. So, he and Mays strike up a conversation. The catcher gets too involved in the conversation, he sets up too close to Mays' rather large the sweet spot. In mid-sentence, Mays hits the ball over the left field fence. Mays jogs around the bases and, as he crosses the plate, he tells the catcher, "Hey, I'll finish the story next at bat."

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2012
I had a catcher that was great at "skirting the line" she was never rude but would ask the batters random things like " do you like carrots?" "Do you inhale or exhale during your swing?" "Be careful with this one, she always hits girls with this pitch" stuff like that and yes she effectively got into their heads.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
Some of the things I used to say to batters and the things they used to say to me were the fun parts of the game. I never tried to cross a line with the batter. Some catchers LOVED to ride the line when a batter was up. Nothing was sacred. Girlfriends, teammates, all kinds of stuff. I tended to make it more suttle, like I was talking to the pitcher. "Easy Out!" "He can't catch up." The line I liked to say the most was, "This guy is 0 for 3! You know what to do!"

With all that, I know that some things cross the line. As long as you don't cross it then I think it is Ok.

Apr 1, 2010
In BB the catcher will say all sorts of jabs to get in the hitters head. He will talk about your momma, sister, girlfriend. If you have any physical defects they will be game....... overweight, big ears, little hands, short, tall, skinny.

I don't hear much jawing from girls softball on the field, BUT I have walked by and heard some pretty strong words/feelings from girls talking about another team off the field.

I'm fine with DD chatting up batters in an attempt to distract them, but I wouldn't want her saying rude things about their physical characteristics or their parents, friends, etc. Even if it's legal, it's not how I would want her to behave.

Oh yes, there are some teams that girls have a LOT to say about.

Jan 25, 2011
My sister was a catcher in H.S. and she use to sing her ABC's, what would be real funny if the catcher was trying to distract the batter and the girl hit a homer. Turn to the catcher and ask her to hold your bat and say I will be right back.

Jul 28, 2008
I like the more subtle approach. Something that I use for fun when golfing would work great. "Wow, you have a beautiful swing. Do you inhale or exhale on your back-swing?"

I have never passed this along to any of my catchers. I prefer for them to come by stuff like this themselves.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
At a 14u game last year, the catcher was getting her sign from the coach. After she got the signal, she stood up, turned half way around and ask the ump, "Do you believe he called that pitch, she hasn't thrown that pitch for a strike in two days?" The umpire lost it and had to call time he was laughing so hard. Once play was resumed, the pitcher threw a fast ball right down the middle, called third strike as the batter never moved. To this day I don't know if the catcher planned that or the coach changed the pitch, but it sure was funny.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Contrary to popular belief here, umpires are human and enjoy being entertained, even if they can't show it. Of course, they'd rather have a catcher who protects them. They're most happy when a catcher can do both well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal