Slappers home to first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Just my opinion but I think the only way you get a true reading is if you use the same gun. Local JUCO is 2 mph faster ever time they clock someone.

Saw a very good 14U pitcher that was around 60.Gets clocked 67 the next week at an SEC school. She is one of the best around but she isn’t 67 with my gun. I’m sure she hit 67 on their gun. Everyone was 4 mph harder.
Yes I would believe that as well. My dds home to first varied significantly from camp to camp...Overhand and exit speed not so much. Thank God she gave up pitching.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2020
Its funny if you look at the USSSA elite select tryouts they post the results each year and they are archived.
I've seen many girls at 12 and 13 run sub 2.8s then again at 14 and they are over 3.0
Sometimes kids grow and lose speed. I'm sure some gain speed too.. but seen it both ways.
Also speed times are tough. You see a big variance based on who's running the timer, when they start it etc. Speed is like pitching speed.. when you see it you know it. Someone was saying that Usain Bolt can run about a 2.8 based on dropping the bat etc. Now who's kid is as fast as him ;)
Wherever that compairison for Usain Bolt came from is insainly wrong.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Wherever that compairison for Usain Bolt came from is insainly wrong.

I just looked up bolts 20 meter splits from Beijing.

60 feet is 18.3 ish meters. 20 meters is 66ish feet. So, from blocks on a synthetic track with an Olympic gold medal on the line he covered 66 ft in 2.9. Not sure how it can be converted to a softball home to first time, but there you go...

4B36BC2F-7F81-4DD8-B110-0C1E98607666.jpeg

Nov 5, 2014

60 feet is 18.3 ish meters. 20 meters is 66ish feet. So, from blocks on a synthetic track with an Olympic gold medal on the line he covered 66 ft in 2.9. Not sure how it can be converted to a softball home to first time, but there you go...

View attachment 20612
Assuming each foot takes the same amount of time to cover (incorrect but probably close enough for the purposes of this point) That correlates to a 2.62 second 60 ft sprint. Pretty funny when I could link to dozens of parents supposedly timing their kids in less than that on Twitter. One that I specifically remember the dad shows the stopwatch at 2.58 seconds. Kid looked quick but not that kind of speed so I got my watch and timed it 10 times knowing that human error with a stopwatch is bad and hoping to average out some of that, fastest time I got was 2.71 with an average of 2.87

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
+ The distance from the right box.
- The distance from the left box.

Apr 28, 2014

View attachment 20612

Yes about 2.9 is around what he probably could run and thats off the block. Imagine having to drop a bat and turn your core and start your pace. And people think their kids run 2.6 I haven't seen it.

Apr 28, 2014
Assuming each foot takes the same amount of time to cover (incorrect but probably close enough for the purposes of this point) That correlates to a 2.62 second 60 ft sprint. Pretty funny when I could link to dozens of parents supposedly timing their kids in less than that on Twitter. One that I specifically remember the dad shows the stopwatch at 2.58 seconds. Kid looked quick but not that kind of speed so I got my watch and timed it 10 times knowing that human error with a stopwatch is bad and hoping to average out some of that, fastest time I got was 2.71 with an average of 2.87

Exactly!
When someone presents a metric delineated to a hundredth of a second without a truly measurable and repeatable way to ensure absolute accuracy I find it difficult to believe. Maybe its the engineer in me but anyone who's been around track and field even casually knows how important precision is. Impossible for a human with a stopwatch to consistently time a start/stop.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Getting out of the box run and hit/bunt/slap the advantage is energy already in motion.
(not from a stand still)

Also from the left side its 'atleast' 1 stride closer from the plate.
And 2 to 3 strides closer from the right box.

Run slap/hitter should have an advatage getting out of the box.
However a hitter can work on same skill set of getting out of the box quicker also!

*It would be neat to see the time saved getting out of box one way vs. the other.

Nov 5, 2014
Getting out of the box run and hit/bunt/slap the advantage is energy already in motion.
(not from a stand still)

Also from the left side its 'atleast' 1 stride closer from the plate.
And 2 to 3 strides closer from the right box.

Run slap/hitter should have an advatage getting out of the box.
However a hitter can work on same skill set of getting out of the box quicker also!

*It would be neat to see the time saved getting out of box one way vs. the other.
All good points Rad but doesn't change the fact that these are very difficult things to objectively measure and a stopwatch makes the task impossible as its level of precision is not nearly enough for an activity measured in tenths and hundredths of seconds.

Another example of this, at D1 college camps my DD's times were all over the place from 2.58(laughable, she is not nearly the fastest softball player I have seen and certainly not faster than Usain Bolt) all the way up to 2.85. Any metric that can vary based on measurement between the fastest person ever to moderately fast softball player is a useless metric. It would be the equivalent of a pitcher being clocked in a range of 58-80mph

May 27, 2013
As a former sprinter, and from what I’ve seen when I watch sprinting events (55 meter, 100 meter dashes), you will see most runners stick with each other for the first several meters until you see the faster runners begin to pull away from the pack. My best, anecdotal guess would be that this tends to occur past the 20 meter mark. Sometimes it takes a good sprinter slightly longer to kick it into the next gear. Your best 55 meter sprinter might not be your best 100 meter sprinter, due to how long it takes them to be able to run at their best stride. Some are definitely just quicker out of the block, but then get overtaken near the finish line.

Again, just a guess.

ETA: This is just a response to how girls’ times can be similar to Bolt’s times over the same distance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom