Slappers home to first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2020
FWIW:
Kayla Braud (Alabama) was consistently at 2.7 contact to 1B by my stopwatch.

DD is 2.83 contact to 1B per skills video and her first two steps are slow out of the box. Hoping to get that corrected.

I agree with Amy too. You will now fast once you see it. Speed is not only good for obvious reasons, but the added pressure on the defense causes them to make mistakes.
Any suggestions for drills on how to work on getting out of box quicker?

Jan 28, 2017
Had a JUCO coach run a 12U tryout and she stated that a 2.6 is an automatic scholarship. One 11 year old ran a 2.7. She obviously can fly. She hits RH and ran from the right side but I can’t remember if she swing or not.

13 year old Kid that goes to our school ran an 11 flat from home to home at the All American deal in Florida. Smallkid and also threw 58. Both the best in 13u.

Dec 10, 2018
My DD is 13 and playing first year 14u travel ball. She's a natural righty but converted to the left side and slapping full time right at a year ago... She averages 2.7 down the line from contact to first and can hit for a little power too. There's nothing i enjoy more than watching defenses fall all over themselves trying to figure out what she's going to do at the plate!

Apr 20, 2015
Had a JUCO coach run a 12U tryout and she stated that a 2.6 is an automatic scholarship. One 11 year old ran a 2.7. She obviously can fly. She hits RH and ran from the right side but I can’t remember if she swing or not.

13 year old Kid that goes to our school ran an 11 flat from home to home at the All American deal in Florida. Smallkid and also threw 58. Both the best in 13u.
Pitch speed or Overhand? 58 just seems low for outstanding 13u....all 3 of our 13u pitchers were over 60 and several of our players had overhands in the mid 60s. Measured at college camps. I remember teasing mine because her overhand was nearly a match to her exit velocity. This was an exceptional team so I'm probably out of touch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017
Pitch speed or Overhand? 58 just seems low for outstanding 13u....all 3 of our 13u pitchers were over 60 and several of our players had overhands in the mid 60s. Measured at college camps. I remember teasing mine because her overhand was nearly a match to her exit velocity. This was an exceptional team so I'm probably out of touch.

Pitch speed. Fastest at the Winter All American deal. MVP of the deal.

Apr 28, 2014
Its funny if you look at the USSSA elite select tryouts they post the results each year and they are archived.
I've seen many girls at 12 and 13 run sub 2.8s then again at 14 and they are over 3.0
Sometimes kids grow and lose speed. I'm sure some gain speed too.. but seen it both ways.
Also speed times are tough. You see a big variance based on who's running the timer, when they start it etc. Speed is like pitching speed.. when you see it you know it. Someone was saying that Usain Bolt can run about a 2.8 based on dropping the bat etc. Now who's kid is as fast as him ;)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
Pitch speed. Fastest at the Winter All American deal. MVP of the deal.
Interesting...our #1 13u pitcher topped out at 64. Not my dd. Cruised around 60-61 but when things were really on fire she could bring it. No one from out team attends those types of events as they are discouraged by the organization. When my dd was little the regional try out was the same weekend as one of the biggest tournaments in our area and when the list came out of who made it it was pretty comical. Sounds like that kiddo has a bright future.

Jan 28, 2017
Its funny if you look at the USSSA elite select tryouts they post the results each year and they are archived.
I've seen many girls at 12 and 13 run sub 2.8s then again at 14 and they are over 3.0
Sometimes kids grow and lose speed. I'm sure some gain speed too.. but seen it both ways.
Also speed times are tough. You see a big variance based on who's running the timer, when they start it etc. Speed is like pitching speed.. when you see it you know it. Someone was saying that Hussain Bolt can run about a 2.8 based on dropping the bat etc. Now who's kid is as fast as him ;)

Laser timed at the All American deal. The tryout was hand timed but the kid can fly. I think the one that would win the straight line race would lose around the bases.

Jan 28, 2017
Interesting...our #1 13u pitcher topped out at 64. Not my dd. Cruised around 60-61 but when things were really on fire she could bring it. No one from out team attends those types of events as they are discouraged by the organization. When my dd was little the regional try out was the same weekend as one of the biggest tournaments in our area and when the list came out of who made it it was pretty comical. Sounds like that kiddo has a bright future.

Just my opinion but I think the only way you get a true reading is if you use the same gun. Local JUCO is 2 mph faster ever time they clock someone.

Saw a very good 14U pitcher that was around 60.Gets clocked 67 the next week at an SEC school. She is one of the best around but she isn’t 67 with my gun. I’m sure she hit 67 on their gun. Everyone was 4 mph harder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478