Skills videos, when to make them?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
We've been to a lot of clinics that talk about this and it seems like we are hearing no later than spring of your sophomore year. I wish we had done ours earlier than that though.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
We've been to a lot of clinics that talk about this and it seems like we are hearing no later than spring of your sophomore year. I wish we had done ours earlier than that though.

I guess it depends on whether you're going to playing in a showcase or tournament where a coach would watch? I assume you'd send a video to a coach ahead of a tournament that the coach will attend.

Oct 10, 2011
video

I guess it depends on whether you're going to playing in a showcase or tournament where a coach would watch? I assume you'd send a video to a coach ahead of a tournament that the coach will attend.
Yes. We would send the video and profile prior to each clinic or showcase, plus every coach at the schools she was interested in with her schedule no matter where they were located.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Also at a recent Junior Day camp, a D1 and D2 coach said they only look at about 3 swings and 5 defensive plays. They said they don't care if it's done on your smart phone either because they just want to see if they are worth coming to see play.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Also at a recent Junior Day camp, a D1 and D2 coach said they only look at about 3 swings and 5 defensive plays. They said they don't care if it's done on your smart phone either because they just want to see if they are worth coming to see play.

Which begs another question. Is it worth it to get a professional to do a video?

But yeah, when I watch skills videos, it's usually a case of TMI.

Oct 10, 2011
professional

Which begs another question. Is it worth it to get a professional to do a video?

But yeah, when I watch skills videos, it's usually a case of TMI.
If you have a decent camera and can load the videos to youtube, I say no. I just put our Nikon camera on 720p and used a tripod. The first fielding video I did was just done with youtube ' s video editor. The hitting section was done by NCSA and I don't think it's as good. Our friend is a D3 coach and he said he likes to see 5-10 unedited hits and defensive plays even if they aren't all good.

Oct 22, 2009
I say it's okay to make one. Some coaches will ask, from experience most won't.

I never made one for my DD and I was never asked for one.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If you have a decent camera and can load the videos to youtube, I say no. I just put our Nikon camera on 720p and used a tripod. The first fielding video I did was just done with youtube ' s video editor. The hitting section was done by NCSA and I don't think it's as good. Our friend is a D3 coach and he said he likes to see 5-10 unedited hits and defensive plays even if they aren't all good.

A local company said they do one for $650, and they provided examples of those they'd done that look nice. I could buy a nice camera for $650.

Oct 10, 2011

A local company said they do one for $650, and they provided examples of those they'd done that look nice. I could buy a nice camera for $650.
I bought ours for 350.00 and it does great 1080p which is overkill. Got the tripod for 6 bucks at Walmart.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell