Situation Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2008
I'd tell #9 to step into the pitch and take one for the team. Loading the bases.
Then have #1 jack one out of the park to really go out in style.

Well maybe not, but it would make a great movie story line. :)

Feb 9, 2011
Isn't it a tie game now?

Yes it was a tie game at that point so I was safe to take a chance on a big hit number 2 hit a line drive to finish the game off.

I was always told to make sure the game goes another inning then go for the win thats why I didn't let leadoff swing away. BTW- Leadoff is my DD and I would have loved nothing more that to let her go for the fences but that cost a good friend of mine a state title so I tried to play it safe.

Oct 21, 2009
I agree with what you did but I would steal 2nd with #8. Now bunt with the Pitcher. If bunt goes to 1B runner on 3B goes home any where else stay put. If runner at 3rd is out at home you have runners at 1 & 3. I courtesy run for the pitcher on 1B with fast girl who was just out at home and have her steal 2B. Then as you did have #1 hitter drag to 1B.

May 7, 2008
There are factors we don't know, such as how good is the other team's pitcher, just how bad is the #9 hitter, etc.

I will just assume it's maybe a 4-3 game and the #9 hitter is poor, but not totally incapable.

On offense, I do nothing on the first pitch and look to see what 1st-3rd coverage the defense used. If it appears they are going to allow the runner on first to have second, then I'll go ahead and steal on the next pitch, giving the batter a take sign if the first pitch was a ball.

If that #9 hitter can bunt, I might lay down a safety squeeze. I'm dubious of a straight squeeze because we can't afford a miss and then have one out and the #9 hitter still at the dish. If the #9 hitter can't bunt, I'd just hit away and hope for the best from her, knowing we have 2nd and 3rd and one out for the top.

If it gets to the leadoff with one out and second and third, then I would go with whatever her greatest strength might be, whether that be a squeeze, or just hitting away.

On defense, I would throw out the runner stealing second with no outs. I'm not letting the winning run get to second with no outs. Often, the runner on third just stands there watching, and then you have one out, runner on third and the #9 hitter up. There is a very good chance the runner on third will score during the inning, so extra innings isn't a bad result for the defense.

Feb 9, 2011
In our 12u bracket you throw at the second base runner and it an automatic score at home to tie the game. Second is a gimme with a walk and a runner on third they usually just hit the bag and keep going around unless you are trying to bait the catcher.

This was a very good team and going after my leadoff was a mental mistake.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez