Situation Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2011
Time expired down by one no outs we are home team substitute runnner for catch on third with tons of speed.

The next batter (8) grounds outs alot and is a slow runner, on deck is your pitcher the last batter (9) she is there for a reason and you have a left/right slapping leadoff (1) thats on fire in the door.

What should I have done to get the tying run in after they walked batter (8).

May 25, 2010
Double steal for the tie. If there's no throw, then regardless of what happens with your #9 hitter, you've got your leadoff coming up with runners in scoring position and less than 2 out.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If #9 can slug bunt, have her do so while R1 steals second. Her movement should open up some space in the infield for the slug to get through, which will score the runner on third and give you a runner in scoring position with #1 coming up, and no outs. If the hitter misses the ball completely on the slug, she's at least provided some cover for the runner stealing second. If #9 can't slug but someone on the bench can, pinch hit.

Another alternative is to run a safety or suicide squeeze with the steal. Again, that should create some chaos in the infield. If they make the throw to first, the runner on third scores. If they hold you have runners on second and third and the top of the order coming up.

What did you do?

Feb 9, 2011
I had runner on first delay steal to move her to second pitcher struck out on a full count. I had my lead off drag bunt up the first base line and she jogged with the slow roller first base took the bait tagged her and R1 easily made it home.

My other coaches said I took to big of a risk, I thought I made the right call.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Another alternative is to run a safety or suicide squeeze with the steal.

That is what I would do. Put the ball on the ground and challenge the defense to make a play.\

Of course, you can't suddenly teach everyone to bunt in the last inning of a game...hopefully *EVERYONE* has learned how to bunt.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Bunt was definately the right call. I would have had #9 hitter try it too, because with no outs, it's the best way to insure at least tying the game. If #9 had bunted, you might have had a tie game and winning run on 3rd with 1 out, or bases loaded and no outs with top of order comming up.

What did other coaches want you to do?

Nov 29, 2009
Time expired down by one no outs we are home team substitute runnner for catch on third with tons of speed.

The next batter (8) grounds outs alot and is a slow runner, on deck is your pitcher the last batter (9) she is there for a reason and you have a left/right slapping leadoff (1) thats on fire in the door.

What should I have done to get the tying run in after they walked batter (8).

Let me take the other side of the situation here. I'm the defensive coach. I'm assuming older girls here.

I let the runner take 2nd and pitch to the #9 hitter. If we get a K I'm ahead of the game. Ground ball gets me a play at the plate or an out at 1st. Runner on 2 wont hurt me at this time.

I walk the #1 hitter if she's been killing my pitching all game.

Pitch to the #2 hitter with the infield drawn in looking for the force at home and a possible 3rd out at 1st.

If I don't get the 3rd out we have a slow runner on 3rd now.

Taking the offensive side:

I tell my #9 to take until she has two strikes. I want them to walk her. If they don't then I have the runner steal 2nd after the 2nd strike. If #9 K's she K's. Best case she puts the ball on the right side of the infield and we force the defense into doing something with the ball.

I let my #1 hit if they don't walk her. I might throw in a drag bunt attempt to try and catch them sleeping.

After that it's up to the girls to execute and get the job done. All I can do is try and put them in the position with the best possible outcome.

If they walk #1 it's up to my #2 & #3 to get the job done and get the run in.

At some point it's up to the girls to get it done and we as coaches are nothing more than involved spectators.

Feb 9, 2011
Lead off had hit an in the park this game and a double number two batter just almost as fast and same bat.

Other coaches wanted her to hit away she has only one k this year on 25 at bats 8 walks. If she hits right anyone on base is usually home before the ball gets back to the infield. She is leadoff because at 11 she runs a 3.12 from swing of bat to first.

If I had let her bat right they more than likely would have walked her and created a force play wanted to take my chances and end it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red