Umpire incorrectly calls 3 outs in an inning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
EDIT:
The situation wasn't artificially created, it never changed, there were 2 outs no matter what the umpire said, just as there was only $100 in the bank, not $1000, no matter what the bank said.
The situation is 100% artificially created.
Why did the defense leave the field? Because the Ump created a situation where they believed there were three outs.

Why didn't the defense try to retire her? Because the Ump created a situation where they believed there were three outs.

Why did the runner get the opportunity to run without a defender covering the base or making a throw? Because the Ump created a situation where they believed there were three outs.

Had the Umpire not created an artificial 3rd out nothing else happens.

When dealing with stupid time-limit games pay attention to how many time umpires say, "That's three hustle off."

Jun 8, 2016
Lol Yes....let's NOT include the players in the haggling the umpires, parents and coaches already do...
🙈🙉🙊
Lol.. While I understand that the discussion is relevant for future situations when something like this might arise my response was akin to saying "Who cares.." Umpire made a mistake and then tried to correct it the best way they could without having an actual rule to guide them. The "umpires are out to get us" crowd annoy me..

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Lol.. While I understand that the discussion is relevant for future situations when something like this might arise my response was akin to saying "Who cares.." Umpire made a mistake and then tried to correct it the best way they could without having an actual rule to guide them. The "umpires are out to get us" crowd annoy me..

Yeah, but travel ball is serious business. That probably cost that runner her spot on the Olympic team.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
When dealing with stupid time-limit games pay attention to how many time umpires say, "That's three hustle off."
I don't work time limit games, so I have no idea how often this might be said. But, if they are as prevalent as people here make then out to be, then the players already know to hustle on and off, or at the least the coaches do and THEY should be the ones telling their team to hustle on and off the field, after all, hasn't it been amply established that nobody wants the umpires coaching their players?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I don't work time limit games, so I have no idea how often this might be said. But, if they are as prevalent as people here make then out to be, then the players already know to hustle on and off, or at the least the coaches do and THEY should be the ones telling their team to hustle on and off the field, after all, hasn't it been amply established that nobody wants the umpires coaching their players?
In time limit games controlling the clock is a strategy. Sometimes time consuming is on purpose.

May 29, 2015
I didn't want to go down the timed game route, but I did have that thought earlier. We don't know, but if the clock was running out, it is possible the umpire was (erroneously) declaring the third out to make it clear that the next inning had indeed started (yes, the half-inning starts once the third out is made; not once the players decide to come back from the nacho line).

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I didn't want to go down the timed game route, but I did have that thought earlier. We don't know, but if the clock was running out, it is possible the umpire was (erroneously) declaring the third out to make it clear that the next inning had indeed started (yes, the half-inning starts once the third out is made; not once the players decide to come back from the nacho line).

I just learned something. Had no idea the half inning starts immediately upon the third out. I figured it would've started upon first pitch.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
RAD, what I said is that players should ask the question if an umpire was wrong on a point of fact. In the OP the umpire said an out was the third of an inning, rather than the second, This is not a judgment call, it is a fact, part of the game situation which exists regardless of the umpire's judgment. And yes, I think it is completely OK for a player to question an umpire on a point of fact, but always do so in an appropriate manner.

In the OP, for example, asking the umpire, "Are you sure that is three outs?" would be OK. Asking, "Are you sure she is out?", is not.

Is this any different than an umpire who loses the count insisting he's right despite everyone there knowing he's wrong? If an umpire says it's 3-2, it doesn't matter that the girl fouled off a pitch, took a strike looking, and then swung and missed. It's 3-2. (And lol at the idea of him deferring to the home team's scorebook)

If an umpire says there's three outs, if he feels like sticking with that, he can. It's a "point of fact," but if an umpire wants to make up facts, they can. They have. I see it more often than I should.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When catching I would ask / confirm with the Umpire how many outs there are to announce to the team as a reminder. But I wouldn't go confirm it with the game scorekeeper every time I asked.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs