similar but not the same

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
This is a test for anyone who wants to participate.

These swings visually appear very similar, but Ruth hit 45+ HR's per year and Ichiro hits about 8.
80% of Ichiro's hits are singles. Can you see bio-mechanical differences, and why Ruth's bio-mechanics provide much more power?

baber.gif
Ichiro2.gif

The two young men below are doing the same drill. But, the one on the left is generating power like Ruth, and the one on the right is moving more like Ichiro. Can you see the difference?

ministep.gif
NoahWalk-UpDrill.gif

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Jim,
Seems Babe walks away from his hands. Gets some stretch/seperation. Ichiro gets no seperation. As his body comes forward so does his hands. Hitter on right gets no to very little coil. Thats why I like the doing the foot behind on the "Walk up drill". Helps the hitter coil the hips more and better. Close?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I hope this is like my DD’s school where there is no wrong answer.

The power hitters’ hip rotation leads the hands more than the less powerful hitters.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Babe's swing looks more rotational. That is, his hips go only a little forward before he becomes 'anchored' on the front leg and rotating around that axis. He is titled more (not as straight up) at contact.

Ichico's swing looks more linear in that the hips move toward the ball for longer. It's as though the force of moving forward is generating the power. He is more straight up at contact, less tilted.

I also agree about stretch & fire. But that's because I looked at rdbass's paper.

R

RayR

One is the Hall of Fame and the other is going to be....one weighed in at 254 at one point and the other plays at 170....Ichiro, like Boggs entertains fans hitting bombs in BP....got to see it this year at the Stadium...what is your point - that every hitter should strive to hit bombs instead of trying to get hits???

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
One thing is that Ichiro shifts then swings while Babe shifts to swing...Ichiro's weight is forward before the barrel has turned.
baber.gif.82.jpg
Ichiro2.gif.95.jpg

May 16, 2010
One is the Hall of Fame and the other is going to be....one weighed in at 254 at one point and the other plays at 170....Ichiro, like Boggs entertains fans hitting bombs in BP....got to see it this year at the Stadium...what is your point - that every hitter should strive to hit bombs instead of trying to get hits???

Yes, both are successful hitters. The question is about why one is successful hitting singles and the other was successful hitting for power, and it isn't their size difference that is the major reason, it's in the mechanics.

R

RayR

How many 170lb players are averaging 34 dingers a year over their career....let's be just a little serious, huh? Let's tell the 5-1, 91lb 2nd basemen that she should be swinging for the fences instead of focusing on line drives and getting on base....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck