similar but not the same

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
babe1.gif

ichiro1.gif

ministep1.gif

I read the question in the car, got home and looked and TM already had an answer...so credit goes...

Three do the same ^^^^^^^ One does not VVVVVVVVV

noah1.gif

Three of them TURN THEIR BARREL TO FLATTEN IT.....as they PIVOT around the rear leg, from a WEIGHTED rear leg, AS they move forward. They use rearside resistance.....resistance BEHIND the rear hip/leg....to load with/against.

One does not. As he slides forward and shifts into the lead leg, he tips the barrel the wrong way.....HE REMOVES ANY RESISTANCE IT COULD OFFER....before any pivot occurs. In fact....that is why no pivot occurs.

The kid is coiling CLOSED as he moves out. The other three are turning OPEN as they move out.

The three....their hand pivot is pivoting WITH....yet AGAINST....the rear hip pivot....simultaneous. Rear hip is pivoting forward AS the hands are pivoting the barrel rearward. This is a CRITICAL loading technique.

The kid has no pivot in either his hands nor his hip.

So, if it's got something to do with barrel turn, (in your opinion) and Ruth and Suzuki do it the same, how come the power difference, (and it isn't just their size difference.)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
What does this have to do with comparing Ruth to Suzuki and the differences between their swing mechanics?

Sorry...it was to be all one post, but limits here block from posting more then 4 gifs in a post. 6 swings are the same bio mechanics, 1 is different.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
So, if it's got something to do with barrel turn, (in your opinion) and Ruth and Suzuki do it the same, how come the power difference, (and it isn't just their size difference.)

Please re read my first post.

Ichiro dosen't hit huge homerun numbers because he chooses not to swing for the stands.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I'll try. if Ichiro was a student of mine, we would work on the sequence, the stretch is not quite right. I think he drops into his swing(slots), abit to soon. Also He is losing power from not having agood frontside press.
in real life, i would never tell Ichiro anything, i would just get his Autograph. But since this is the internet, i'll say that is one crazy slo-pitch swing.

The bottom is easier, no coil foward ,over the front foot also (frontside press) is not correct. Different approach for the drill, probably harder that way.

Nov 11, 2012
We are only capable....

.... of seeing what we are capable of seeing.

Which explains why on the one hand the number of people have quite correctly pointed out that Ichiro puts on a home run show in batting practice (which quite specifically shows that he has power to hit home runs) yet when it comes to the actual game focuses on getting on base and doing what is necessary to win the game. And on the other hand others want to attributed to some magical body movement, or the size of his body, or whatever they're "comfortable with" (capable of seeing).

Tony Gwynn had the same philosophy and in fact in one season actually hit four home runs but then reverted back to making contact and getting on base.

It all comes down to "goals". Goals determine movement pattern i.e. hitting home runs or hitting for singles. well so many of you want a specific (easy to understand and implement) solution or explanation unfortunately you're dealing with the human body and human mind which is not so simple.

I tried to point this out in a previous post (bat drag, http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/11783-dd-bat-drag.html#post134863 ) which was largely ignored and yet is in my opinion critical to understanding how to develop high-level swing capabilities.

And for those who really want to try and understand what it takes to develop high-level movement skills i.e. swinging the bat throwing the ball, you may find the following of interest.

Enjoy!!

Movement and skill. Movements are the means by which motor problems or motor skills are solved. A movement is viewed as a kinematic chain of motion having spatial and temporal coherence relevant to the task at hand. The structure of the movement is emergent, dynamic, and responsive to the task, the individual, and the environment (see article by Higgins for a full discussion of this issue).

As the context of the task changes, so does the kinematic structure of the movement change. The structure of the movement may be relatively stereotypical (ie, kinematically consistent) or non-stereotypical (kinematically variable), depending on the problem and its context. Context refers to the momentarily effective environmental conditions surrounding the problem and the state of the individual at the time of performance (ie, the constraints surrounding performance).

The narrower the context, the narrower the solution and the more consistent the movement. The broader the con- text, the broader the range of solutions and the less consistent the movement. In both cases, the skill of the individual lies in his or her ability to consistently achieve the goal. In the narrow case, the goal may indeed be a kinematically consistent movement (ie, a cartwheel). In the broad ease, the goal is anathema to a kinematically consistent movement; rather, the movement solutions are as varied as the contexts (eg, crossing a city street). (See chapter by Gentile38 for a full discussion of this issue.)

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
babe1.gif

ichiro1.gif

ministep1.gif

I read the question in the car, got home and looked and TM already had an answer...so credit goes...

Three do the same ^^^^^^^ One does not VVVVVVVVV

noah1.gif

Three of them TURN THEIR BARREL TO FLATTEN IT.....as they PIVOT around the rear leg, from a WEIGHTED rear leg, AS they move forward. They use rearside resistance.....resistance BEHIND the rear hip/leg....to load with/against.

One does not. As he slides forward and shifts into the lead leg, he tips the barrel the wrong way.....HE REMOVES ANY RESISTANCE IT COULD OFFER....before any pivot occurs. In fact....that is why no pivot occurs.

The kid is coiling CLOSED as he moves out. The other three are turning OPEN as they move out.

The three....their hand pivot is pivoting WITH....yet AGAINST....the rear hip pivot....simultaneous. Rear hip is pivoting forward AS the hands are pivoting the barrel rearward. This is a CRITICAL loading technique.

The kid has no pivot in either his hands nor his hip.

''Teachers'' pet,you.lol

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Good mechanics are a benefit, but strength is a bigger contributing factor to hitting home runs. Some hitters just have more than others!

Oct 19, 2009
Comparing the swings given of Ruth and Ichiro this is a few things I see, Ruth uses his core more efficiently that Ichiro (walk away from the hands & hips come first), I like Ruth’s weight shift slightly better, Ruth’s at contact is hitting against a stiff front side (actually gets there before contact) and Ichiro does not get to a stiff front side until slightly after contact IMO. Ruth has a slightly more tilt leading to higher trajectory of the ball leaving the bat.

If anyone is interested Link below to Mantel & Ichiro on RightView Pro.

RightView Pro Baseball & Softball Training - Swing Analysis Software - Hitting or Pitching

Booth a good post to get us thinking, can’t wait to find out your opinion of the difference in the swings. :cool:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom