signal for safe

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I watched the UCLA-Oregon game yesterday.

On a play at the plate, the catcher attempted a tag and missed. The runner missed home plate. The umpire signaled and called the runner safe. The runner then touched the plate.

Under that situation (runner was not tagged out and runner has not touched the base), shouldn't the umpire refrain from making a signal?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
No. Safe sign is correct for the missed tag attempt. Runner subsequently could have been called out if the C was able to make a successful tag attempt before the R touched the plate.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for the clarification, GM. I was at the game in person and was a little baffled by the "safe" call before the runner touched the plate. My first impression - like Ray - was that no call should have been made until the runner touched the plate or was tagged.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I believe a brief pause before a safe call on a missed base is the correct mechanic. The runner is still subject to being called out on appeal.

Jun 22, 2008
If it was simply a case of a missed base on something like a force out attempt at the plate, then yes, the correct mechanic is to delay slightly and then signal safe. The play in question was a tag attempt on a runner advancing home. The tag was missed and requires a call at that moment, no different than say a runner advancing between 2nd and 3rd and the SS misses a tag between the 2 bases. The tag was missed and at that moment in time the runner is safe, missing the plate is a completely different situation and the runner is still subject to being put out prior to them touching the plate.

Umpires are never to tip either team to infractions. Not making any call would be tipping the defense to the runner having missed the plate. By rule, once a runner has passed a base they are considered to have touched it until properly appealed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez