Side by side images

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
FFS, I agree DD's attempt to coil is backward as I stated above. We are just beginning to work on her swing and I thought a video for DD to compare was a good place to start. While I have read many of your posts and believe I have an understanding of your hitting philosophy in general, any specific comments you have about DD's swing would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2010
FFS,

As usual you nailed it. When we we trying to clean up Brooke's lower half,before we went to loading the hands, the corner is what we were working on. It's night and day. That's why I'm so adamant about the lower half, it cleans up so much stuff downstream if done properly. All I can do is speak from my personal experience. It just feels different.

Jdaddy,

If you want go to the technical forum and look up my previous videos of Brooke. I've chronicled her journey and there are some very good before and after gifs of her. I personally took thousands of swings myself to create a feel of what I was trying to get Brooke to emmulate.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
DD always gives me that weird look when I'm in the kitchen swinging her bat! I have looked at yours and other posts, all of which have helped give me a better understanding of what we need to achieve. Hope to get some more swings in later this week as temps should be back in the fifties here. Will be posting more video soon.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I see where the ADD of this thread creeped in.
When I said in the first post this "She seems to give a good effort to coil, maintain coil during stride and firing the rear hip."

Yes there is no coil in her current swing. If you work with beginners and rec ball players you will see this position... as their attempt to coil and show the rear pocket to pitcher...even older ones.

Thats not all bad because everything BUT her rear hip/leg is in a good position to feel the coil rather easily. I think jdaddy understands what I was attempting to say. Its an easy fix.

I will leave it at this. Crankermo..your dd has a very good swing, she can come hit with us anyday!
FFS respect your opinion and have used some of your concepts and explanations at times.

Jdaddy good luck!
NEWS UPDATE: Oklahoma State 41 - Stanford 38 Wahoooo!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS, I agree DD's attempt to coil is backward as I stated above. We are just beginning to work on her swing and I thought a video for DD to compare was a good place to start. While I have read many of your posts and believe I have an understanding of your hitting philosophy in general, any specific comments you have about DD's swing would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quick question for you Jdaddy ....

Does your daughter understand the concept of a diagonal swing plane? Is she purposely attempting to swing with level shoulders or to have the bat level with the ground at contact? I ask, because all of her swings had the barrel level to the ground at contact, with the shoulders also level, giving the appearance of a spinny swing.

Here is example of what you don't want ...

8xvci9.jpg

And it looks a lot like your daughter when she is at contact ....

35176vr.jpg

Compare the steepness of the barrel for the same batter for three different pitch heights ... and take note that the 'diagonal barrel' is steeper for lower pitch heights and less steep for higher pitch heights.

359bspy.gif

Confirm that your daughter is not attempting to swing with level shoulders, with the bat level to the ground, that she understands that the hands should be above the ball, and that she understands that at contact that the barrel is pretty much an extension of the lead arm ... ... ... and that for the most part, at contact, that the lead arm will often be somewhat aligned with the barrel (closer to a linear alignment between the lead shoulder and barrel, than having the barrel level to the ground).

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
FFS, good question, answer: I am not sure. I will show her these clips and see if she has any questions. Visuals seem to be very valuable when working with DD. Thank you.

R

RayR

Shoulders are level to ground and would like to see front elbow lower (more against body)...the positions your daughter are showing in this clip lead to late back foot/leg/hip involvement and dropping hands and arm swinging....it is not bad, but there is still room for a lot of improvement....

Your DD needs to buy into a footplant position similar to these....

LelesArizona.jpg
RiveraWash.jpg

BenjiUCLA.jpg
BalcoAri.jpg

From these positions - these players are a position to literally turn into the ball....all they have to do is direct their hands from the inside position they are creating with their body....

Hello

Just added this clip of my daughter from behind home plate view to see if that helps with the ground relative to the bat and shoulders . Her coach is actually 15 ft off to the side and most really trust her contact point or else ....

JWP

Fastpitch hitting lesson Zoned NJ.MP4 - YouTube

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hello

Just added this clip of my daughter from behind home plate view to see if that helps with the ground relative to the bat and shoulders . Her coach is actually 15 ft off to the side and most really trust her contact point or else ....

JWP

Fastpitch hitting lesson Zoned NJ.MP4 - YouTube

This swing looks familiar. From memory mind you ... this swing here is considerably better ... still keeping the front foot planted throughout the swing and she has a questionable lower body running start ... but she 'overlaps' & captures transition with her lower body, which is a big plus. Improve the lower body, with a proper sequence, and this girl could be very good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321