Showcase playing time..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I cannot believe how often I hear of a moron telling a college coach "Well she is not scheduled to pitch until tomorrow at 8:00AM". Seems that some are more concerned with their egos and winning the game than getting kids signed. These are they same teams that brag about going undefeated at a showcase. Won all the games but did not do squat to get their kids signed. If a college coach wants to see her play 3rd, put her out there now! Then tell your catcher to pound the left side of the plate with drop balls and get her something. I have even gone to the opposing coach and asked them to put a bunt down to 3rd. His hitter gets a do-over or is safe no matter what happens, so it takes nothing away from them. Showcases are fun and easy if you remember why you are there. :)

This sounds like one of our games from last week. D1 Coach comes up and says to me and the other coaches "can you help me out, I want to see this kid make contact and check her power" So it's meatballs down the middle. Parents had a lot of questions as too why in a 0-0 game we would make the defensive subs we did and throw fastball down the middle to the #4 hitter. This was all their first experience with "SHOWCASE". It was a lot of fun watching the catcher try to induce a groundball to our SS who the coach requested to see there. Showcases are a blast. We have 3 more before nationals, looking forward to each of them.

Feb 7, 2013
Let's say it's not a showcase but a PGF qualifier and there is a college coach who wants to see the #3 pitcher for a few innings. How do you coaches handle that situation. This happened to one of my daughters PC students who never got in the game when the college coach was specifically there to see her play.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I can see both sides of the issue. Dd has played showcases for 2 teams that ran things opposite end of issue. My favorite part of that article:
image.jpg

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
This sounds like it was written by someone who is more concerned with chasing plastic and mythical national titles than getting signed to a college program.

1) The spot that you are trying to earn is on the college team not your TB team. Understand why you are at the showcase.
2) Thank god it can be individualized because today it is not about the team it is about getting individuals on the team signed.
3) If you deal in excuses instead of personal accountability the format does not matter, you will always be able to come up with an excuse.
4) If you work the process you will play. Bitch all you want, but if nobody is here to see you playing time or lack thereof is moot.
5) If you need payer development go play an alphabet and come back when you have the skills to get recruited, If you cannot get the job done with 1 or 2 AB's then a couple more will not matter.

During DD's pre-college career, DW and I enjoyed some showcases more than others. However, at many camps DD attended where D1 and higher D2 program coaches were present, at the post-camp Q&A session many of those coaches also said they were not necessarily enamored of the showcase process (again, depending on who was running them and the format) because a lot of times they didn't see the individual "competitive fire" you'd see in a tournament and/or untimed game from a potential prospect.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Let's say it's not a showcase but a PGF qualifier and there is a college coach who wants to see the #3 pitcher for a few innings. How do you coaches handle that situation. This happened to one of my daughters PC students who never got in the game when the college coach was specifically there to see her play.

If my team was a real contender to win the whole thing I would politely hand the coach our profiles and our schedule and see if something else fits his/her schedule where it might be more likely that pitcher is going to get circle time.

If my team was not a real contender than I would be putting the girl in.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
During DD's pre-college career, DW and I enjoyed some showcases more than others. However, at many camps DD attended where D1 and higher D2 program coaches were present, at the post-camp Q&A session many of those coaches also said they were not necessarily enamored of the showcase process (again, depending on who was running them and the format) because a lot of times they didn't see the individual "competitive fire" you'd see in a tournament and/or untimed game from a potential prospect.

I would submit that if the potential recruit was not exhibiting the fire and drive desired regardless of the situation, then that is a good thing. The coach can now move on to look at a different player. If a recruit is not going to give their all with their future college career on the line, why would a college coach expect intensity a year or so later when they are facing arch rival Northwestern Neverheardof U?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
This sounds like one of our games from last week. D1 Coach comes up and says to me and the other coaches "can you help me out, I want to see this kid make contact and check her power" So it's meatballs down the middle. Parents had a lot of questions as too why in a 0-0 game we would make the defensive subs we did and throw fastball down the middle to the #4 hitter. This was all their first experience with "SHOWCASE". It was a lot of fun watching the catcher try to induce a groundball to our SS who the coach requested to see there. Showcases are a blast. We have 3 more before nationals, looking forward to each of them.

Are you 100% sure it was a D1 coach, not the kid's parent, that made the request?! How many TB coaches know every D1 team and coach? I wouldn't put it past some crazy parent to try pulling off such a masquerade....

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Are you 100% sure it was a D1 coach, not the kid's parent, that made the request?! How many TB coaches know every D1 team and coach? I wouldn't put it past some crazy parent to try pulling off such a masquerade....

100% positive its a D1 coach. Been to several camps with our players at her school, talked to her several times during the recruiting camp the day before this tournament and can drive to her school in under an hour.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have never heard that one and would not play along. My pitcher is not tubing it and putting herself at risk for some yayhoo. If you want to "check her power" have her hit off a tee.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877