Showcase playing time..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2016
Kansas City
Should showcase playing time be based solely on grad year? Should girls with earlier graduating years be playing more than the girls with later grad years? Let's say there is one player who is going into their senior year and has not been recruited and the coaches are giving her the majority of playing time while the other players who play the same position have to sit (these players are only a year behind and have the same skill set). Is that the way it goes? This is all new to us, so we aren't sure to say anything or just accept that it's part of the showcase process.
Thank you!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Most Coaches do everything they can to get their players recruited. Therefore, do not anticipate equal playing time, but all players should get some playing time and at bats.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not on my team. The ones that play are the ones that aggressively contact coaches, and work the process. Why should I sit a 2019 who has made the effort and has coaches there to watch her to play a 2017 that is not working the system? Does anyone really expect to get recruited because a coach happens to walk by? Unfortunately all too often the answer is yes. To your point, all things equal the ones closest to their NLI signing day should be playing. But the bottom line is you play the ones that have coaches there to see them.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Not on my team. The ones that play are the ones that aggressively contact coaches, and work the process. Why should I sit a 2019 who has made the effort and has coaches there to watch her to play a 2017 that is not working the system? Does anyone really expect to get recruited because a coach happens to walk by? Unfortunately all too often the answer is yes. To your point, all things equal the ones closest to their NLI signing day should be playing. But the bottom line is you play the ones that have coaches there to see them.

Bingo... you want more playing time on your showcase team, get coaches out to games to specifically watch you play. If they are there to see you and your coach is worth anything, you will be on the field to be seen. Also many coaches will directly ask to see the player they are there to see do certain things (please have her pitch, play 3rd, slap, hit away, etc) - and as the coach of a showcase team you will make that happen ASAP.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Bingo... you want more playing time on your showcase team, get coaches out to games to specifically watch you play. If they are there to see you and your coach is worth anything, you will be on the field to be seen. Also many coaches will directly ask to see the player they are there to see do certain things (please have her pitch, play 3rd, slap, hit away, etc) - and as the coach of a showcase team you will make that happen ASAP.

Yes, what the 2 above posters have stated. This is how my DD's team determines who plays where and when. My DD is expected to sit a lot because she is already committed. She knows this, expects this, and excepts this.
Does anyone really expect to get recruited because a coach happens to walk by
Not going to happen. Send those E-mails out.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

I cannot believe how often I hear of a moron telling a college coach "Well she is not scheduled to pitch until tomorrow at 8:00AM". Seems that some are more concerned with their egos and winning the game than getting kids signed. These are they same teams that brag about going undefeated at a showcase. Won all the games but did not do squat to get their kids signed. If a college coach wants to see her play 3rd, put her out there now! Then tell your catcher to pound the left side of the plate with drop balls and get her something. I have even gone to the opposing coach and asked them to put a bunt down to 3rd. His hitter gets a do-over or is safe no matter what happens, so it takes nothing away from them. Showcases are fun and easy if you remember why you are there. :)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Players that are working hard will also have college coaches request to see them play. It Patrick Murphy asks a TB HC, "Would it be possible for me to see Sarah Smith play SS for a couple of innings?", there is a 98.2% chance that is going to happen...the other 1.8% are the morons Riseball is referring too.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Excellent posts by several people.... Showcases are about "showcasing". They are not about winning and losing. Unfortunately some coaches do not understand this and are not willing to learn. We are heading to our first real showcase with this team this weekend, and very much looking forward to it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Excellent posts by several people.... Showcases are about "showcasing". They are not about winning and losing. Unfortunately some coaches do not understand this and are not willing to learn. We are heading to our first real showcase with this team this weekend, and very much looking forward to it.

I know we are having a great showcase if I am spending very little time in the dugout. :)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I cannot believe how often I hear of a moron telling a college coach "Well she is not scheduled to pitch until tomorrow at 8:00AM". Seems that some are more concerned with their egos and winning the game than getting kids signed. These are they same teams that brag about going undefeated at a showcase. Won all the games but did not do squat to get their kids signed. If a college coach wants to see her play 3rd, put her out there now! Then tell your catcher to pound the left side of the plate with drop balls and get her something. I have even gone to the opposing coach and asked them to put a bunt down to 3rd. His hitter gets a do-over or is safe no matter what happens, so it takes nothing away from them. Showcases are fun and easy if you remember why you are there. :)

DD has played for one of those morons....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi