Showcase playing time..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
The pitcher can throw in the bullpen (warm up). In all honesty, not pitching in an important game could tell the coach everything they need to know unless they're a top team nationally. The basic rule of thumb for qualifiers is to play everyone in pool play and play the top 9 in bracket play. Any college coach worth their weight knows that.

Feb 7, 2013
The pitcher can throw in the bullpen (warm up). In all honesty, not pitching in an important game could tell the coach everything they need to know unless they're a top team nationally. The basic rule of thumb for qualifiers is to play everyone in pool play and play the top 9 in bracket play. Any college coach worth their weight knows that.

So if its a PGF qualifier (double elimination) without pool play, you don't care what college coaches are there to see any individual player, just play your best 9 come hell or high water?

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but I find myself conflicted with what is the end goal: to get a kid a scholarship or advance as far as possible in the qualifier and/or tournament?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
A college coach has got to be clueless or a special kind of arrogant to go to a competitive tournament and expect a coach to do requests. There are competitive tournaments and there are showcases. Beyond the stick and the ball they a very different.

Dec 19, 2012
So if its a PGF qualifier (double elimination) without pool play, you don't care what college coaches are there to see any individual player, just play your best 9 come hell or high water?

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but I find myself conflicted with what is the end goal: to get a kid a scholarship or advance as far as possible in the qualifier and/or tournament?

IMO, yes. In bracket/elimination games the coach has an obligation to give the team its best opportunity to win. The purpose of going to a qualifier is to get a bid, so team focus trumps individual focus. In a showcase, a coach can focus on individuals and cater to college coaches requests.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
This sounds like it was written by someone who is more concerned with chasing plastic and mythical national titles than getting signed to a college program.

1) The spot that you are trying to earn is on the college team not your TB team. Understand why you are at the showcase.
2) Thank god it can be individualized because today it is not about the team it is about getting individuals on the team signed.
3) If you deal in excuses instead of personal accountability the format does not matter, you will always be able to come up with an excuse.
4) If you work the process you will play. Bitch all you want, but if nobody is here to see you playing time or lack thereof is moot.
5) If you need payer development go play an alphabet and come back when you have the skills to get recruited, If you cannot get the job done with 1 or 2 AB's then a couple more will not matter.

I get all of this, and understand that showcases are a girl's opportunity to shine and stand out in front of coaches, but at the end of the day, this is still a TEAM game, and if you don't think that coaches are looking at you as a full package - which includes how well you play as part of a team - you are fooling yourself. The last thing they want to see is a SS hot-dogging it all over the infield going after balls she has no right or reason to just because it's a showcase. Think about two OFs going after a fly to the gap each thinking "this is my chance to make a Web Gem diving catch" and not hearing the other one call for the ball...not going to be a pretty end to that play.

Bottom line is yes, of course, take advantage of the opportunity to make plays and shine, but NOT at the expense of the team and of safety.

Nov 3, 2012
I get all of this, and understand that showcases are a girl's opportunity to shine and stand out in front of coaches, but at the end of the day, this is still a TEAM game, and if you don't think that coaches are looking at you as a full package - which includes how well you play as part of a team - you are fooling yourself. The last thing they want to see is a SS hot-dogging it all over the infield going after balls she has no right or reason to just because it's a showcase. Think about two OFs going after a fly to the gap each thinking "this is my chance to make a Web Gem diving catch" and not hearing the other one call for the ball...not going to be a pretty end to that play.

Bottom line is yes, of course, take advantage of the opportunity to make plays and shine, but NOT at the expense of the team and of safety.

I don't think the team isn't going to play as a team in the showcase. The better the players play, then better the team does.

Really the only difference is the coach has to make a few lineup variations and some different strategic decisions he/she might not have made originally. You might change your batting order or fielding positions and alter the decision who pitches. You probably dont sacrifice bunt or do things like hit and run. Also, keep in mind the other team your playing might be doing similar things that also might hurt their chances of winning. You still want to win, but you want to "showcase" skills first, then win second. Remember there's no "I" in team, but there's also no "I" in coach.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

I think it is a stretch to think that anyone would advocate the type of behavior you have described.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1