Showcase playing time..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
We just did a showcase. We are not a showcase team just normal tb team 99s and 00s. In Feb I told them to email and contacting coaches. In the games I rotated pitchers every 2-3 inning and batting order stayed the same with exception of last out of game nxt batter led off the following game. All of this was suggested to me on this site. I have none committed or signed but a few being looked at. I prepared all parents and player's with the "if a coach were to ask to see or have me play tina here or there I would comply because game had no meaning to anyone except college coaches". Everyone got equal play time and reps at the plate. Bracket play I put 9 out there to win and subbed like normal.

Jul 14, 2010
I miss showcase ball... Didn't have to worry if my DD didn't start - always got playing time. Back at 14U now... What's sad is the parents of a D1 caliber prospect not getting the purpose of showcase and staying with a team still trying to win trophies and not getting her daughter out there to be seen young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD was put in twice in Boulder when coaches asked to see her at specific positions. She has written faithfully the last 3 years and it's finally started to pay off with coaches coming to see her almost every tourney this year. I felt kind of bad because one game she was on the bench and a kid who gets less playing time was in. I'm sure it didn't seem fair to her.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I miss showcase ball... Didn't have to worry if my DD didn't start - always got playing time. Back at 14U now... What's sad is the parents of a D1 caliber prospect not getting the purpose of showcase and staying with a team still trying to win trophies and not getting her daughter out there to be seen young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After you have done this long enough you realize that some families just do not get it and you will never change their mindset. So you put your energies into others that have figured it out and do all you can to help them. It is heartbreaking at times especially when you have a kid with the grades, the skills, and the heart but has zero support from the family.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Saw this yesterday on Facebook...thought it was spot on...JMO...

Reasons Why I dislike the word showcase:
1. It removes the competition aspect from the game, or the sense of urgency to earn a spot and WIN!!
2. It allows it (the game) to be individualized.
3. Losses become accepted and excuses explode "because we played out of position"
4. It allows the bitching meter to go through the roof: "well it's a showcase, shouldn't they split time".
5. Games are 80 minutes long? WTF kind of game is that? Let's bat 12? Sweet thanks for the 4 innings and 1 at bat per player. Awesome player development.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
At least a lot of the Showcases divide the time between Pool (everyone plays) and Bracket (best 9). You get the best of both. That said, once Bracket play starts the college coaches have disappeared into the woodwork. They claim to want to see games that matter but aren't around to see them.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Saw this yesterday on Facebook...thought it was spot on...JMO...

Reasons Why I dislike the word showcase:
1. It removes the competition aspect from the game, or the sense of urgency to earn a spot and WIN!!
2. It allows it (the game) to be individualized.
3. Losses become accepted and excuses explode "because we played out of position"
4. It allows the bitching meter to go through the roof: "well it's a showcase, shouldn't they split time".
5. Games are 80 minutes long? WTF kind of game is that? Let's bat 12? Sweet thanks for the 4 innings and 1 at bat per player. Awesome player development.

This sounds like it was written by someone who is more concerned with chasing plastic and mythical national titles than getting signed to a college program.

1) The spot that you are trying to earn is on the college team not your TB team. Understand why you are at the showcase.
2) Thank god it can be individualized because today it is not about the team it is about getting individuals on the team signed.
3) If you deal in excuses instead of personal accountability the format does not matter, you will always be able to come up with an excuse.
4) If you work the process you will play. Bitch all you want, but if nobody is here to see you playing time or lack thereof is moot.
5) If you need payer development go play an alphabet and come back when you have the skills to get recruited, If you cannot get the job done with 1 or 2 AB's then a couple more will not matter.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
At least a lot of the Showcases divide the time between Pool (everyone plays) and Bracket (best 9). You get the best of both. That said, once Bracket play starts the college coaches have disappeared into the woodwork. They claim to want to see games that matter but aren't around to see them.

Most college coaches could care less about the format. They can often see all they need to by watching the warmups or a couple of innings. I can tell if a pitcher is worth watching after the first pitch. The split format is more to appease the trophy chasers with teams full of kids wondering why they are not getting any "looks" by just showing up and walking onto the field.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The split format is more to appease the trophy chasers with teams full of kids wondering why they are not getting any "looks" by just showing up and walking onto the field.

We go to IDT and PGF Nationals to do as well as we can and of course we want to win but we have 14 on the roster and don't bring anyone in UNLESS we have a serious shortage at an important position like P and C. Our third pitcher developed a bad throat infection right before IDT so we soldiered on with our other 2 and a kid that pitches in HS. Since we only have the one 18U team we sure as hell would like to win it all but if we play well and get beat so be it. At IDT we were beat early on by a team with 23 in the dugout. This is a team we know and we didn't recognize any kids on the field. In the dugout yes. $2500 for the week to watch some kid you've never seen take your kids spot.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This sounds like it was written by someone who is more concerned with chasing plastic and mythical national titles than getting signed to a college program.

1) The spot that you are trying to earn is on the college team not your TB team. Understand why you are at the showcase.
2) Thank god it can be individualized because today it is not about the team it is about getting individuals on the team signed.
3) If you deal in excuses instead of personal accountability the format does not matter, you will always be able to come up with an excuse.
4) If you work the process you will play. Bitch all you want, but if nobody is here to see you playing time or lack thereof is moot.
5) If you need payer development go play an alphabet and come back when you have the skills to get recruited, If you cannot get the job done with 1 or 2 AB's then a couple more will not matter.

Excellent post!! To me it isn't that difficult. If you are not interested in showcases, don't do them. If you do them, understand the purpose first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad