Showcase Events - rules and etiquette for parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
One of the best coaches in our area doesn't even coach his team during showcases. He has assistants do that so he can stand behind home plate with the recruiters to talk up the players. This is the most important job, why leave that to a parent/volunteer?

As a former “parent recruiter” I would go around to the coaches before the game, see who the coaches came to see or what class year and position were they looking for. I’d review our profile sheet with them and kindly ask for their business card. I’d also ask them if they’d be there for the full game so I could ensure the players they came to see get in that game while they were there. All that info would get relayed to the coaches and those girls would be put in the game if they weren’t already. I also would relay to the HC who was there to see our specific players and he would go and talk to them.

Next day team would get a full document of which coaches came to see who or what type of position/player/grad year they were looking for. Girls would use that info to send f/u emails to the coaches using the info listed on the business cards.

Feb 7, 2014
Do your 'homework' on the coach.

They have a big impact on those years.

Oct 2, 2015
As a former “parent recruiter” I would go around to the coaches before the game, see who the coaches came to see or what class year and position were they looking for. I’d review our profile sheet with them and kindly ask for their business card. I’d also ask them if they’d be there for the full game so I could ensure the players they came to see get in that game while they were there. All that info would get relayed to the coaches and those girls would be put in the game if they weren’t already. I also would relay to the HC who was there to see our specific players and he would go and talk to them.

Next day team would get a full document of which coaches came to see who or what type of position/player/grad year they were looking for. Girls would use that info to send f/u emails to the coaches using the info listed on the business cards.
I get what you're doing and it sounds like it was done better than most. However, having the HC right there talking about strengths of a player during the game as the recruiter is watching that player is extraordinarily effective.

May 27, 2013
I get what you're doing and it sounds like it was done better than most. However, having the HC right there talking about strengths of a player during the game as the recruiter is watching that player is extraordinarily effective.

Easier to have the parent / volunteer running around to see which coaches are there first - as some actually like to watch from the OF. Coach is then freed up to just go directly to the coaches to chat.

Oct 4, 2018
Org workout in CO? In that case stay in the car..I am dropping mine off at hers and finding a coffee shop..no need to be a helicopter parent. If you want to socialize with the other parents (no idea why....) tell them all to go to the coffee shop with you (just make sure it isn't the one I am at..).

Last year DD's team actually practiced in CO..I would have rather they done that than this org workout.

I do have a work call so will be in the car for most of it. Which is fine by me, other than the work call part.

Oct 4, 2018
One of the best coaches in our area doesn't even coach his team during showcases. He has assistants do that so he can stand behind home plate with the recruiters to talk up the players. This is the most important job, why leave that to a parent/volunteer?

I kind of agree. In our particular case, I'd rather the coach do it than any of the parents, including myself.

Oct 4, 2018

Can you please meet us at Brookdale Fields, Field 1 at 10:00 AM Monday, June 26th, 2023. :p

Team was lucky to have you. I'm impressed.

Oct 4, 2018

They have a big impact on those years.

Can you please elaborate? We talking know their record, their team, their achievements and big wins?

Or like Facebook stalk them and show up with their favorite ice cream flavor?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414