Shoulder pain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
In my dd case PC and TB coach tell her take the time to heal and pitching is like riding a bike and it will come back to her. DD is a hard worker and is not use to so much down time (from sports). She is learning that through all this PT, she is going to be a much better and stronger athlete with alot more knowledge how to maintain being a healthy athlete. In our case, we are making lemonade out of the lemons. :)

If she is missing the pitching, this would be a great time to sit down and discuss situations. What pitches to throw in which situations. What to do when the ball is hit to the pitcher with runners on various bases... Keeps her mind on the game while the body heals.

Sep 6, 2011
That is a great idea Chinamigarden. I am just Mom, who takes her dd to pitching,(gave up my days of sitting on bucket and gave that job to team catchers) practices, and games, while, I try to understand the game, it doesn't come the easiest to me but we are playing winter league this year and we do have a ex coach of tb team that has joined our team as a parent enjoying watching his dd play, who knows alot and loves to explain the game. I am thinking we could sit my dd next to him during the games and both of them will be happy!!! Thanks again!!

Oct 31, 2009
Mississippi
My daughter had pain and this cracking noise. She had what the orthopedic called a "floating scapula" that caused the pain - it was due to overstretched muscles all around the shoulder (front, back and side). Poor posture helped contribute to the muscle stretching (she rounded her shoulders to the front slightly). She had to do exercises to strengthen all those muscles which subsequently "held" the scapula in place. He said the "noise" was actually the shoulder dropping back into the socket. He said this would not cause pain or problems, but usually made players uneasy because of the sound. She wore a soft brace that improved posture 2 hours twice a day and did the exercises with a physical therapist. She felt better quickly (within about 3 weeks) - stopped the exercises and had pain again. She ended up doing the exercises throughout her senior year, but pitched all season.