Should travel ball pitchers be allowed to play Rec All-Stars?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Not all good pitchers are travel ball pitchers, though.

Just in my community alone, I can name 3 girls (all pitchers) that aren't playing travel ball this year. So, they are playing rec.

With the economy the way it is, I think we will see more and more girls dropping out of travel.

Just teach the girls to pitch. To not give them lessons is doing them a disservice.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
We haven't played rec in some time. The last time, I had to address my daughter for "mom identifying" a lack of patience with a team mate who was playing with less intensity than she was. How many times have I heard from the stands, "This isn't the major leagues, ya know." or "It's just a game." As true as those statements are, players are competing with different levels of intensity. Injuries will happen (I've seen too many here lately). Rec is no longer fun for my kids because they feel they can't bring their "A" game out of fear they don't want to hurt anyone. I tell them regularly...when this isn't fun anymore, please let me know because there are so many other ways we can be spending our time and money. That's our experience.

Mar 15, 2010
I posted this in another thread but will repeat it here. Take away why my DD wanted to play rec ball one last time (aging out and playing with her friends) and the decision to have her move from TB to rec was and is a huge mistake. Her rec numbers are beyond reasonable. 17 out of 20 innings no runs allowed. Two perfect games, batting average in the mid .700. 2.5 K per game. In the eyes of the rec parents my DD is a softball goddess. The dominating player that they have been wising for on an all star team for years. The praise heaped on her is never ending. I, however, know the truth. In A level TB she is only a slightly above average hitter and pitcher. My concern is that with the success she is having in rec it will be an ego shock when she returns to TB and her numbers instantly get readjusted to reality.

At the end of the day softball has to be fun for my DD and right now, playing with her friends, she is having a fantastic time and constantly tells me how much she is enjoying this year.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I posted this in another thread but will repeat it here. Take away why my DD wanted to play rec ball one last time (aging out and playing with her friends) and the decision to have her move from TB to rec was and is a huge mistake. Her rec numbers are beyond reasonable. 17 out of 20 innings no runs allowed. Two perfect games, batting average in the mid .700. 2.5 K per game. In the eyes of the rec parents my DD is a softball goddess. The dominating player that they have been wising for on an all star team for years. The praise heaped on her is never ending. I, however, know the truth. In A level TB she is only a slightly above average hitter and pitcher. My concern is that with the success she is having in rec it will be an ego shock when she returns to TB and her numbers instantly get readjusted to reality.

At the end of the day softball has to be fun for my DD and right now, playing with her friends, she is having a fantastic time and constantly tells me how much she is enjoying this year.

You are only looking at the situation from your daughter's perspective. Rec ball is not set-up for the enjoyment of only one player but for the betterment of all players development. If your TB pitcher is that dominant, what happens to the year-round rec pitcher (your rec team's former #1) who sees a lot less playing time, especially during all-stars. For example, my pitching DD is the youngest player on our all-star team, a team composed of all year round rec ball players. If we had 1 or 2 TB pitchers on our all-star team, my DD (and any of our other rec pitchers) would never get any time in the circle against some of the best rec ball batters in the area. This is invaluable playing time for these rec ball players, but they would not get this experience if playing along side dominating TB players, who only show up a few months out of the year and then leave.

BTW, I would much prefer my DD be on an average all-star team with no tournament trophies but lots of playing time and experience, than on a team, with a lot less playing time, but wins championships because of one dominating pitcher.

Oct 18, 2009
You are only looking at the situation from your daughter's perspective. Rec ball is not set-up for the enjoyment of only one player but for the betterment of all players development. If your TB pitcher is that dominant, what happens to the year-round rec pitcher (your rec team's former #1) who sees a lot less playing time, especially during all-stars. For example, my pitching DD is the youngest player on our all-star team, a team composed of all year round rec ball players. If we had 1 or 2 TB pitchers on our all-star team, my DD (and any of our other rec pitchers) would never get any time in the circle against some of the best rec ball batters in the area. This is invaluable playing time for these rec ball players, but they would not get this experience if playing along side dominating TB players, who only show up a few months out of the year and then leave.

BTW, I would much prefer my DD be on an average all-star team with no tournament trophies but lots of playing time and experience, than on a team, with a lot less playing time, but wins championships because of one dominating pitcher.

I agree that you shouldnt bring in ringers for just all stars. But if they play in the league all year round they should also be eligible for all stars. A good coach can rotate players in as is appropriate.

There's nothing wrong with this but lets be honest here; it sounds like you are thinking about your own DD's perspective as well. You don't really care if you win or lose just as long as your DD gets mound time because in the end its all about our own kids.

May 25, 2010
On any championship team, some players are going to get less time than others. Not everyone gets to be the star.

Sure, he may not want his daughter to be on a championship team where she isn't a major contributor in terms of innings played, but maybe she wants to be a part of a winning team, even if she doesn't have the same amount of K's or RBI.

There's no one size fits all situation out there and athletes' priorities do change over time, regardless of what the parents want for them.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
There are reasons that travel ball players might play rec.

They could be not currently on a team, no money for travel ball this season, during school season they might not make the team or have the grades to play at HS age.

So you would exclude a girl that has no where else to play because she is just more talented or developed than the rest ? Thats not a very good attitude.

Rec ball is recreational, it is for fun. It doesnt have to be bad, it just usually is. Does it cease to be fun because a good player plays? If so , why?

Or does bursting some girls bubbles so that they face realizing how poor of players they really are have anything to do with it.?

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Travel Ball Pitcher Update

You took the words right out of my mouth - teach the kids to bunt.

If you don't have anyone who can pitch that fast to them in practice, go to the cages and move up a speed level.

Good luck!

Played the same team again this weekend, this time in the finals, and tried more bunting and drag bunting with no more success. This TB pitcher (49mph)is just too fast and accurate for an all rec team to handle. Our batting stats after two games against her 28 strikeouts in 36 at bats! And in 8 games they have played, they have only given up 2 or 3 runs over two tournaments. But I think I am at peace now. It is what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi