Should She Make Varsity?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The coach needs to ask her Riseball's question...."would you rather catch fair balls, or shag foul balls". A lot of kids want to make varsity, but is it better to play JV or ride the pine on varsity?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
MS DD should have been on the older Team as a 6th grader, I think she would have switched out at 2nd. Instead she played 2 years on the younger Team and had a blast.

Older Team was really good, made a run at the state title. They were nice enough to let DD play with them for their run. She was attached to the C as a pinch runner.

Sep 29, 2014
If I was the HC assuming no other variables this would be my take...again assuming she is a sophomore and #3 or #4 pitcher at the school. You sit down with her and explain, I have two pitchers so your chances of getting varsity pitching time is basically none. What I expect from you would be an open apology to the JV team for quitting and a pledge to work hard all season to win back their trust in you. I expect you to be a leader on and off the field and to do that by being a TEAM player. Then give her the "mission impossible" challenge...this is your mission if you choose to accept it congratulations otherwise I will disavow any knowledge of you.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Like Cannonball and DJ, I would give the kid a chance to redeem herself.

I would say something like, "You have to show me that you have changed. Your behavior last year was bad on many levels. It showed a lack of maturity and a lack of respect. I'm willing to give you a chance, but you have to prove to me you have learned a lesson. You'll play JV this year. You keep your nose clean, and your chances of being on varsity your junior are excellent."

A lot of kids want to make varsity, but is it better to play JV or ride the pine on varsity?

It is up to the kid. A coach should honestly and frankly explain the situation to the player, then let the player decide.

On the one hand, a kid will play more on JV. On varsity, who know what will happen? Kids get hurt. Players go into slumps. Another player might get into more trouble. To borrow from a song, "Life doesn't go clickety-clack down a straight line track."

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2014
Upper Midwest
Now that the OP has about 3 pages of answers, I'll share a favorite story. DD1 joins a newly formed club team after 8th grade. By summer's end they're fast friends. Over the next 4 years, just 1-2 roster changes. No cliques. As 2nd year 16s they win every tourney in the state, the region, and place 8th at ASA. Dream team.

But back at the start, when these girls all had their first chance to play HS ball, competing for spots in the 4 largest HSs in the state, every girl made JV except 1. She's our #1 pitcher. And her HS coach puts her on the freshman team. She's embarrassed. She's humiliated. Her father quietly shares she cried so hard all night she couldn't make it to school the next day. Doesn't want to face her club team friends. And then she rolls up her sleeves and goes to work. In 3-4 weeks she's on JV. With 3 weeks left in the season she's promoted to varsity. She starts the second game at state.

Only girl that didn't make JV as a 9th grader. Only girl that letters 4 years. Love that kid. She's pitching D3 now. 4.0 in Finance. Look out world.

Feb 21, 2012
Now that the OP has about 3 pages of answers, I'll share a favorite story. DD1 joins a newly formed club team after 8th grade. By summer's end they're fast friends. Over the next 4 years, just 1-2 roster changes. No cliques. As 2nd year 16s they win every tourney in the state, the region, and place 8th at ASA. Dream team.

But back at the start, when these girls all had their first chance to play HS ball, competing for spots in the 4 largest HSs in the state, every girl made JV except 1. She's our #1 pitcher. And her HS coach puts her on the freshman team. She's embarrassed. She's humiliated. Her father quietly shares she cried so hard all night she couldn't make it to school the next day. Doesn't want to face her club team friends. And then she rolls up her sleeves and goes to work. In 3-4 weeks she's on JV. With 3 weeks left in the season she's promoted to varsity. She starts the second game at state.

Only girl that didn't make JV as a 9th grader. Only girl that letters 4 years. Love that kid. She's pitching D3 now. 4.0 in Finance. Look out world.

I think this is a great story, for all of us at any stage in life.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009

Where is that, "TRIPLE LIKE BUTTON?"

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
And then she rolls up her sleeves and goes to work. In 3-4 weeks she's on JV. With 3 weeks left in the season she's promoted to varsity. She starts the second game at state.

Great story...as you point out, the other solution is to be so good that the JV opponents start complaining and the V coach has to do something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild