Should she give up school ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Agree in that
Everyone has to prioritize their own goals.

There may be a debate that going to a pitching lesson, while it is not with the team,
is still focusing on softball and both the middle school team and the players goals are both softball...
the lesson maybe a better place to be one day a week than the practice.
Plus it is a technical practice for the pitcher.
Would it then be OK to miss one practice a week to go train?!
Have students who do this.

These type of posts define peoples goals!!!
I agree that a pitching lesson one day a week is certainly reasonable, especially if the MS coach is not a pitching coach.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Have her skip pitching lessons. Nothing like letting one's skills deteroriate to help the team.
Or she can choose to go to lessons, quit the MS team, and focus on TB. I don't think it's unreasonable or the girl to be allowed to go to a pitching lesson once per week, but if that doesn't work for the coach and the rest of the team for whatever reason, then so be it.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
If you have to ask, then remove your dd. You'll be happier. Before your dd gets to HS, check out that program. You may just want to avoid the whole inconvenience. The good part is that your pitching coach should have a lot of open time for lessons when your dd gets to HS and you skip it. LOL

Apr 20, 2015
If we attend lessons we do it after practice. Is that not an option. Can make for a late night but it works

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
If we attend lessons we do it after practice. Is that not an option. Can make for a late night but it works

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

but also depends on instructions availability. I know after a pause, it took us several weeks of one offs to get back in DDs instructors regular schedule, and then only because school is still 1/2 days beecause of Covid. lesson learned by us is that once you have a regular slot with your instructor (assuming you want to stay with them), do not give it up unless you are certain you have another regular slot lined up. and if instructor is good, they are probably in demand as well.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
At this point in your DDs development, lessons should probably be a higher priority, especially if the MS coaching staff will try to "correct" what she's learning. If she enjoys playing for MS, and also can hold her ground on the work her private coaches are helping her with, let her play. But skipping MS ball shouldn't hurt her standing for HS ball in a couple of years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet